Unroot and Remove Recovery Via RootExplorer

sunder74

Reaction score
Unroot and Remove Recovery from DROIDX Via RootExplorer

Unrooting and Removing ClockWorkMod Recovery from DROIDX Via RootExplorer

This information is a repost by me for those who wish to go back 100% stock no root/no recovery.
This Unrooting and Removal method was made known to me by our own 928droid. (Thanks Dave)

The usual disclaimers apply...You do this at YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible for bricked handsets nagging wives, global warming or any other "fists shaking at the heavens" that may arise.

Before proceeding with this process uninstall Bootstrap and clockworkmod rom manager and reboot.

First you will need RootExplorer.(I can't verify this method with any other file explorer.)

Open RootExplorer (During this process DO NOT navigate out of the application)

Navigate to system then to bin (system/bin) and delete the following: (If you get a "can not delete error" change the permissions in the upper left rw/ro.)

1. hijack
2. logwrapper
3. busybox
4. su

Now while in system/bin find logwrapper.bin long press and rename to logwrapper (deleting .bin)

Now that we are done in system/bin back out to system and enter system/xbin to check for any duplicate copies of su or busybox.

Once you have verified that these files are no longer there back out to system and enter system/app and delete the superuser.apk

Finally exit RootExplorer and enter settings/privacy/ reset device

Once completed you should be root/recovery free. Thanks again to 928Droid for the information provided to make this post.

Hope you guys find this as helpful as I did.

Last edited:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let it be known that this is for the droid X and possibly the droid 2 (I can't verify this as it might use a different method, but afaik it doesn't). This will not remove the recovery on the droid 1, incredible, and many other android phones since the reocvery is in a different partition.

Sent from my Droid

OP
S

sunder74

Reaction score
Let it be known that this is for the droid X and possibly the droid 2 (I can't verify this as it might use a different method, but afaik it doesn't). This will not remove the recovery on the droid 1, incredible, and many other android phones since the reocvery is in a different partition.

Sent from my Droid

Thanks Tank I clarified it in the beginning of the instructions. :)

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

Sent from my Droid

Hi Tank,

Hence the reason it was posted in Droid X hacks .. LOL

Will also work on Droid 2 the same way.

Those other "lesser" phones you mentioned we don't worry about over here .... HA, HA,, J/K!!!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Hi Tank,

Hence the reason it was posted in Droid X hacks .. LOL

Will also work on Droid 2 the same way.

Those other "lesser" phones you mentioned we don't worry about over here .... HA, HA,, J/K!!!

There are alays those people who ask, so I thought I would stop them before they try :)

Sent from my Droid

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Lesser???:icon_evil:

rofl. I'm just hoping that when it comes time to upgrade my next phone gives me the same level of satisfaction my D1 has been giving me all this time. I've got a feeling it will be tough to beat that as there is a lot of expectation there. The D1 is my first smart phone though, and they do say you never forget your first.

There are always those people who ask, so I thought I would stop them before they try :)

So you thought you would try to stop them :)

Last edited:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

Lesser???:icon_evil:

rofl. I'm just hoping that when it comes time to upgrade my next phone gives me the same level of satisfaction my D1 has been giving me all this time. I've got a feeling it will be tough to beat that as there is a lot of expectation there. The D1 is my first smart phone though, and they do say you never forget your first.

Ha, Ha, Trust me there is nothing wrong with a Droid 1, I have had one since November and it was fantastic (still have it, well my wife does)....BUT "keeping it real"....well I better stop there... :)

Have a great night, and rest of the weekend!

Oh Tank,,, as you get older, you will learn you can't keep some people from doing ...well, "dumb" things...no matter how hard you try to keep them from it!

BTW, Congrats on the "Blue Jacket", it looks good on you!! :)

Cheers,

speaker2animals

Reaction score
help-stuck in clockworkmod

Total noob. Used rootmyx2 and got root fine but every other phone startup boots into clockworkmod. I tried unrooting with rootmyx2 and this didn't fix the clockwork mod bootup.

Just want to make sure but will this method fix my clickworkmod boot problem? And could someone let me know what step restores the regular recovery mode? The phone has to go back to Verizon and obviously needs to be clean. (Droid X, official 2.2 upgrade.)

(In looking I found a similar but different and more complicated method here when undoing a different root process: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/1586-how-un-root-droid-x.html)

Last edited:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Total noob. Used rootmyx2 and got root fine but every other phone startup boots into clockworkmod. I tried unrooting with rootmyx2 and this didn't fix the clockwork mod bootup.

Just want to make sure but will this method fix my clickworkmod boot problem? And could someone let me know what step restores the regular recovery mode? The phone has to go back to Verizon and obviously needs to be clean. (Droid X, official 2.2 upgrade.)

(In looking I found a similar but different and more complicated method here when undoing a different root process: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/1586-how-un-root-droid-x.html)

Did you uninstall Droid X Bootstrapper and Rom Manager before following the procedure in post 1? If not start over.

speaker2animals

Reaction score
waiting to try

Sorry, just nervous about trying and worried that my root method changed things. And I just didn't know which step restored the old system recovery. I'll give it a shot.

speaker2animals

Reaction score
Worked like a charm! Now to find a root method that just gives me root and let's me run Titanium Backup!

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Worked like a charm! Now to find a root method that just gives me root and let's me run Titanium Backup!

See Droid 2 Root method (see Thread in this forum).... that will do what exactly what you are talking about.

I cheat and just copy and paste the commmands (no worries about typing errors), takes less than 5 minutes start to reboot.

speaker2animals

Reaction score
Your awesome! I will check that thread. I previously had an Epic and got spoiled; there were several one-click root AND unroot tools that weren't destructive. This method is awesome and fixed my phone but a little of a drag to factory reset. I wonder if RootMyX2 would have worked if the phone hadn't automatically rebooted in recovery mode.