Unlock bootloader and root using a Mac - instructions

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
Thank you. I've fiddled around with the OG Droid, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, and Droid Bionic over the past two years, and I've had to wade through some unnecessarily technical and pretentious posts to accomplish my goals. I greatly appreciate how simple and straightforward you made this. Including pictures and ALL of the Terminal interactions was extremely helpful. I didn't have any issues, and it got through the Google lock screen in under a minute.

As others may have said, Terminal looks a little different in 10.7 than in 10.4, but that's mainly just because it uses a $ instead of a %. [Or maybe that's something related to how my computer is set up.] Lion users may have trouble with the Home directory, though, since it's hidden by default. If they're trying to do this, though, they can figure it out.

Anyway, thank you for this guide. I hope others find it as useful as I did.

You are most welcome! I'm really glad you found it helpful.

And thanks for mentioning the terminal differences - I'm not on 10.7 so I can't check it myself.

mmirltp90

Reaction score
help

im trying to unlock my bootloader to root my phone and cannot. I wanted to know if there was a difference in the steps if im using a macbook and not a mac because ive seriously tried a million times already

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
im trying to unlock my bootloader to root my phone and cannot. I wanted to know if there was a difference in the steps if im using a macbook and not a mac because ive seriously tried a million times already

No difference...it is apple os. What are you using, safari? I used a hackbook. What is giving you trouble?

mmirltp90

Reaction score
No difference...it is apple os. What are you using, safari? I used a hackbook. What is giving you trouble?

Im using google chrome when i open the terminal and type cd r3-galaxynexus-superboot it always says the directory not found, I did everything step by step

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Ok...so you're in terminal and you have changed directory (cd). You put the folder in your home directory like in the steps of the tutorial.

When you type are you typing:

cd r3-galaxynexus-superboot ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

Or

cd r3-galaxynexus-superboot

It should be the first ....

mmirltp90

Reaction score
wow shows you how much i know i was entering them in separately thank you for the help

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
thanks I was able to root my phone finally now i gotta figure out how to get clockworkmod

Check out the link at the bottom of the instructions.

Sent from my Liquified Nexus

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
You're welcome! Now get out there and enjoy all the amazing development for this device!

Sent from my Liquified Nexus

kibmikey1

Reaction score
Method works on my phone, unock sticks but root does not!!

Hello, I've just purchased my Nexus (GSM) from Google, and I was trying to unlock/root it. I came across this method for a mac (which I use), and everything sseemed to be working out all right. The phone accepted the unlocking and the code to restart the phone with root, but when I try to verify root through SU or any other program that needs root privileges, an error message comes up (either trouble accessing privileged commands, or no root access!) If anyone knows what I'm missing here, or if there is something I haven't done yet, please let me know! Using a Nexus GT-I9250M (4.0.4).

kibmikey1

Reaction score
Step number 23 fails to update SU!

Everything else works, from backwards to front, unlocking the bootloader, re-locking it, but even with my phone unlocked, it won't root with this code for some reason! Any help greatly appreciated!

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
I'm not sure why it's not working, but I've only used this method on the CDMA version of the phone, which I think might be the problem. It's also possible that since you're on 4.0.4 that the root method might not be working. Try looking for rooting methods (sorry I don't know any) specifically for GSM phones and you might have more success. Good luck and let us know how it goes.