Unknown caller ringtone

n0m0n

Reaction score
I'm not sure which Android device it was but I thought there was an option where I could set a ringtone for unlisted, unknown caller when one calls.
Is that still an option on the Razr Maxx HD?
If so where can I find it because it wasn't in Settings | Sounds .
Thanks

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The options for assigning a specific ringtone to certain callers is in your people app. Edit the contact and you should be able to assign a ringtone to that contact..

OP
n0m0n

n0m0n

Reaction score
The options for assigning a specific ringtone to certain callers is in your people app. Edit the contact and you should be able to assign a ringtone to that contact..

Thank you for replying.

Yes I know that if I go into the people app and choose a person set ringtones I can set a specific ringtone to that contact.
I am trying to find out if I can set a ringtone to any and all unknown calls that I receive.

I don't know what device it was but I seem to remember that you were able to set a default ringtone, (as you can in settings | sounds on this device).
You could also set a ringtone that would play when someone that was not in your contacts list, or did not have a callerID attached.

That is what I an looking to do.

Have you or anyone else heard or know where I can find that?

Thanks

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Unfortunately I don't... sorry

jaamoke

Reaction score
I have an HTC One V, so I don't know if this approach will work for non-HTC phones. For what it's worth...

I first used the default Music app on my phone to assign one mp3 as the ringtone for all of my contacts. I know this sounds like a pain, but as long as you don't have several hundred contacts, it doesn't take that long to select each of your contacts and save the ringtone to them all in one action. Next I went into phone settings and set the phone default ringtone to a second mp3. Now, when calls come in from an unknown caller, I get the phone default ringtone. When one of my contacts calls, I get a different ringtone.

Hope you can do something similar on your phone, because I searched the web for a week before I came up with enough failed ideas to finally cobble together one that worked for my phone.

Rogus

Reaction score
Last phone I had that could assign a single ringtone to all unknown callers was the Treo with a WM6 OS. Was disappointed I couldn't do it on Android, but use the same work around that jaamoke does. It means I have to go into each contact and assign a ringtone, but that's takes care of the issue. If it's just the default ringtone, I know I don't know whose calling.