Universal S3 GPS issue. On my 3rd S3 and same issue!!!

cmdaniels1986

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, and have an issue I want to check out. I do a TON of driving, and a ton of hiking. I am a software developer, and not technology inept! This is my 3rd samsung galaxy s3. Every single device developes the same issue after a month or so. My GPS cannot get a lock on any satelights, and renders the Google Maps/backcountry navigator useless.

Has anyone else had an issue with this, and has anyone discovered any fixes? Two of the associates at my local Verizon store have come across the same issue and have switched phones. This is a mess!!!

Thanks!

I went through a similar issue just a few days ago, but turning my GPS off and on again fixed the issue for me, and didn't happen before and hasn't happened since.... I hope you can figure it out! This is a generally great phone, and it sucks that you're having issues.

I had a similar issue with my droid 3. It'd seemingly forget how to lock on gps. The fix i found was through an app off the playstore called gps status and toolbox. Open the app, menu, manage a-gps state, reset. I dont know if it'll work for you, but i suppose it couldn't hurt to try...

OP
C

cmdaniels1986

I had a similar issue with my droid 3. It'd seemingly forget how to lock on gps. The fix i found was through an app off the playstore called gps status and toolbox. Open the app, menu, manage a-gps state, reset. I dont know if it'll work for you, but i suppose it couldn't hurt to try...

Yeah, I've tried GPS Status and tried a reset. I've also factory reset all three phones, and the issue seems to be permanent. I have run into a handle of people who have had the same issue, and all I can say is that Verizon had better let me switch devices. With my plan, I spend over $3600 a year for all of the phones on my plan. (6 smartphones, and a hot spot).

Hyporea

I had a similar issue with my Droid X. I'm also a software developer and travel a lot, and thus use my GPS features with Google Maps a lot. But my fixes has been simply clearing the cache then rebooting the phone.

lesbutler

I have been having problems with the GPS never being able to get a fix for the last month, tried all kinds of fixes then someone told me to take the plastic cover off.

Works fine now.....

I have had poor gps performance on my S 3.
- It takes a lomg time to "Search for GPS".
- It itermitantly loses signal.
AND, I WONDER IF THIS HAPPENS TO ANYONE ELSE:
- It will intermitantly think that it's a street over and give instructions as though I was there.
This was particulary disasterous today on my to and from the airport picking up my son.
The phone works flawlessy otherwise. I bought the phone used a few weeks ago and I found out that my phone was rooted and wondered if that could be the problem.
I was hoping to get a resolution to this (I am starting a new thread) otherwise I am planning to sell it and maybe move to a Razer, DNA or Note.
I am navigationally impared and rely on my GPS greatly.
Can anyone help?

Viktorr

You guys really need to invest in a GPS dedicated device. These phones, like the SGS3 give you amenities but they are not designed like what a dedicated device is. your phone is there to help you out when you are without your other means of tech. It's not there to replace it permanently.

If you want real GPS, then go with a company that specializes in that field.

You guys really need to invest in a GPS dedicated device. These phones, like the SGS3 give you amenities but they are not designed like what a dedicated device is. your phone is there to help you out when you are without your other means of tech. It's not there to replace it permanently.

That may be but it doesn't address this issue. Why did my last phone and the other phones of family members work.
Obviously this is not a problem peculiar to just my phone since others have had the same problem.
I tried clearing the Maps cache and last night it again was off at times by a street (was "confused" about precise location.)
Since it only malfuncions at times it may be an adjustment?
Can the fact that it's rooted have anything to do with it?

k1ngr4t

Could not disagree more :happy3:

My smartphones have been the best GPS system I've ever used. My Eris was a bit laggy at the time, but that was one of the first Android phones and, well....it sucked (but was awesome!). These days, my phone detects my location instantly and moves flawlessly with me. I see my triangle going down the road in real time with no lag or anything. It's so accurate, that I can sit in my rotating chair at home, and the triangle will rotate with me as I spin around. Only the high end GPS devices include nearby search features and they're usually limited to a specific software. A smartphone on the other hand has unlimited access to countless location apps, many of which give ALL information about a place, including a menu, or can offer other local events. Not to mention GPS keyboards are a joke.

It's also much easier to just put your slim little smartphone in the cup holder or next to the hand brake or something, whereas with a GPS it's recommended you use a mount or, if not, you have a bulky device that's much harder to rest comfortably. Or if you go to a sketchy area and need to put away things like your radio, you need room for said bulky device, as opposed to your phone which you'd be taking with you anyways. To top off the cake, you can also listen to music, make phone calls, and have texts read out loud all at the same time....because it's your phone.

Ok I could keep going and I might agree with you if this were the days of iPhone 1 and Palm Pre, but these days a smartphone is just as good as the devices it emulates, if not better. What's happening here is a problem. Not sure why the OP said universal issue when it's clearly not. It's very unfortunate their device isn't functioning properly, especially after 3 replacements. But it's definitely not the norm.

Byakushiki

Did you guys enable location via WiFi/ mobile network? Because GPS in my experience takes a lot longer to lock if it's not enabled.
It should be under location access in settings.

Breakfast beats worrying.