"unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped"

OP
G

GoHuskies

Reaction score
I hope I'm being considerate and not a total jackass, but I also posted at androidforums.com. I couldn't find anything about double-posting in the rules so hopefully this isn't an etiquette violation, but I wanted to broaden my approach since I haven't solved the problem yet. If I get a solution from either forum I will cross-post to the other. Thanks all for your suggestions thus far; please don't take it personally but I'm freaking out a bit over having broken my $600+ device.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Alright, this exact thing happened to me. I used titanium Backup to try to restore my call log and it caused the immediate and repetitive force close of the com.android.phone upon boot up. I had to use the google images to flash my phone back to stock. Depending on the method that you used to root the phone, you may be able to use the same tools to re-flash the phone.

I used the "fastboot-windows" method to unlock and root, so I already had the fastboot tools on my PC. I used the Vol+/Vol-/PWR buttons to get into the boot loader on my Gnex, and after that, I followed the instructions shown on this link:

How to flash the VZW LTE Galaxy Nexus to Stock using Google's images : AndroidI'm not sure if this will help you though because you said you were having trouble installing the SDK. I already had the SDK installed on my PC from a long time ago, but I did update it to the latest version before going through this process. It didn't seem like that daunting of a task to me, however I do remember the first time around it was a bit more intimidating.

Anyway, let it be known that the stock rooted GNex does not play well with DroidX call logs that were backed up using Titanium Backup! I know it was the call log to blame because that was the only item that I restored prior to the reboot and subsequent com.android.phone failure.

Anyway, good luck!

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing. Based on the comments on the page that I linked to, you may be able to get away with just re-locking and unlocking your boot loader to force a factory reset. It'll be quicker (and safer) than pushing all of the new image files.

OP
G

GoHuskies

Reaction score
You have to hold the three buttons simultaneously for several seconds until the phone vibrates quickly... it will then go into a boot menu.

I get the boot menu if I hold down vol+/vol-/power when the phone is off. However if I do it from the red triangle/exclamation point screen, nothing happens.

OP
G

GoHuskies

Reaction score
How to flash the VZW LTE Galaxy Nexus to Stock using Google's images : AndroidI'm not sure if this will help you though because you said you were having trouble installing the SDK. I already had the SDK installed on my PC from a long time ago, but I did update it to the latest version before going through this process. It didn't seem like that daunting of a task to me, however I do remember the first time around it was a bit more intimidating.

Thanks much Adam. Very glad to hear that someone else had the same issue and figured it out. Sounds like I just need to man up and slog my way through installing SDK. I'll post with outcome.

OP
G

GoHuskies

Reaction score
Did you used the guide in this thread by sbenson to root?

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus

Yup, that's exactly what I used. That was the only method I could find that didn't require SDK to be installed.

OP
G

GoHuskies

Reaction score
HOLY, HOLY ACTUAL CRAP--IT WORKED. I now have a brand new, out-of-the-box Galaxy Nexus. Thank you guys all so much!

whopua

Reaction score
Its doing that because that file is still in /system. There is a way you can do it all through ADB. But unfortunately I'm not around my computer to find the way for you. And since ADB is still new to me, I can't remember the commands off the top of my head. Hopefully someone will come along and help. If not, I try to find them in the morning. But don't worry, there is a way to fix your problems. Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus
I am also having a similar issue. I unlocked my bootloader with SDK and rooted it using clockwork mod. When I launch my ROM Manager and go to reboot into bootloader I get the Androind on his back with the exclamation point in the triangle. Eventually it boots regularly. However I can boot into recovery if I immediately "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" immediately before I boot into recovery. Do you know the reason for this?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If you already deleted the file in /system, you may not have clockwork mod permanently installed. I don't have anymore info on that as I just saw some else mention it on another forum. I'll see if I can find out more. I'll post back when I do.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus

whopua

Reaction score
What exactly are you referring to that may have been deleted? Is this automatic because I haven't deleted or moved a thing since rooting. Not on purpose anyway...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums