"Unfortunately, Settings has stopped"

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Just bought a used Galaxy S 3. When I went into settings and checked for an update the above message shows every time.
What up with that?
Thanks

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Is the phone rooted? If it rooted then chances are the Fwupgrade is frozen or deleted therefore causing the error you are getting... The Fwupgrade (along with another.) are what allow the phone to actually update and check for update.... If those are missing or not able to be opened it will cause that error to show... If the phone is NOT rooted let me know and I will walk you through the steps to "reset" those 2 options and see if that does the trick.

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Is the phone rooted? If it rooted then chances are the Fwupgrade is frozen or deleted therefore causing the error you are getting... The Fwupgrade (along with another.) are what allow the phone to actually update and check for update.... If those are missing or not able to be opened it will cause that error to show... If the phone is NOT rooted let me know and I will walk you through the steps to "reset" those 2 options and see if that does the trick.

I just contacted the seller and the phone is rooted.
I'm really not sure what this means and what advantage/disadvantage this is to me but if this is a disadvantage (ie can't get update ect) can it be "rerooted"?
Would you be able to give me feedback on this?
Thanks!

Aude

Reaction score
I have the same issue but my phone is brand new and NOT rooted. Can you help?