"Unfortunately, homescreen has stopped" which is very unfortunate

pspdowling

Reaction score
Yesterday my phone updated to some new Kitkat version and the new one didn't have a swipe option for the keyboard. I figured I would see if it was some setting I could turn back on and while looking found a hearing impaired option and decided to see what it did. After a couple minutes of playing around listening to my phone narrate every action I did my phone gave me a message of "Unfortunately, homescreen has stopped" and now my phone won't let me do anything. Somewhat mockingly, the narration is still going on and will read out the message and a couple of the notifications on the top bar if I click it (I can click the bar but it wont scroll down).

I'm not a tech savvy guy and I'm just hoping everything is not lost. Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-20-13-25-18[1].png
    Screenshot_2014-05-20-13-25-18[1].png
    9.5 KB · Views: 298

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You may have to try a factory reset. It's not required but it's a common practice after a major update.

OP
P

pspdowling

Reaction score
I am hearing that and I just am not ready to part with my info. Are there ways to save old text messages/contacts so that everything is not lost? I can't access anything on my phone because of this.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am hearing that and I just am not ready to part with my info. Are there ways to save old text messages/contacts so that everything is not lost? I can't access anything on my phone because of this.
Your contacts should be synced to your Google account. Your photos and videos should be saved to your Google+ account if you used that feature. And your text messages can be backed up and emailed to your account, I personally use SMS Backup & Restore.

OP
P

pspdowling

Reaction score
Since I can't use anything on my device are there ways to do this external to the device? Thats all I can do right now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Assuming you've already tried resetting your phone, just a normal one, I'm not sure what you can do as to saving text messages if the phone is basically "frozen"

OP
P

pspdowling

Reaction score
okay, thanks. Sorry about the duplicate thread, I thought I posted the last one in the wrong forum.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
it is possible to fix this, but you will need to read up on how to use rsd to flash your phone.
i dont have an M but i thought i read that you guys have the fxz for KK. if im wrong and you dont disregard as this wont work.

download the fxz and extract it to a folder
inside you will find a XML file
right click and choose "edit"
edit out entirely any lines containing:
getvar (i believe there is 2)
gpt
step operation="erase" partition="userdata" most important you not miss this one or it will erase your data

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
okay, thanks. Sorry about the duplicate thread, I thought I posted the last one in the wrong forum.
No problem, it happens all the time..lol

From an off status, hold the Power and Vol + key. The phone should show a reset option.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
the fxz is available here VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-10_1FF.xml - Download - 4shared - Samuri HL

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I would connect the phone to your computer and look into the file you think might be the root of the problem.
Check your apps folder and remove the app this way if you can. The accessibility app can cause problems with normal phone operation, and if playing in the app, and a call comes in, it may scramble and not know how to process the call. Disable the accessibility first, then restart the phone.

Do the simple things first.