"Unfortunately, contacts has stopped" error when I go to dial phone.

Skipper

Reaction score
Website
www.blackhole.net
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5. 5.0 / Kernel 3.4.0
Cheers all,

"Unfortunately, contacts has stopped" error when I go to dial phone. Can't get to dial pad or contacts to dial out. I've entered the error term in the search but it doesn't display any previous posts. Any help? Trying to avoid the nuclear reset.

Samsung Galaxy S5. on 5.0 / Kernel 3.4.0 with Verizon.

~Skipper

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Try going to the contacts app in the app manager under all and clear the cache. Then force stop and restart the phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
@leeshor My mother had that exact same problem. Merely clearing cache (after verifying the contacts were all backed up with Google) solved the issue. The reboot is a good idea, though. Certainly can't hurt!

@Skipper let us know is Lee's suggestion helped at all, please!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
So far I only suggested clearing cache, not data or settings so it should affect the contacts that are on the phone. Just an fyi.

OP
Skipper

Skipper

Reaction score
Website
www.blackhole.net
Current Phone Model
I did the clear cache a few reboots including a couple full battery removals. It didn't clear the problem. Got the error and my dial pad and contacts slammed shut. Not able to call out. Then I took an incoming call that lasted more than 5 minutes and the problem magically went away. Weird. I've rebooted a couple times since and all is working normally. Hmmm. I'll repost if anything changes.

Thanks to all though.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is another thread from this forum related to the same issue.

Unfortuately Contacts Has Stopped Page 2 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

If you research online you will find a lot of information that suggests this affects Samsung phones more than any other brand. I have never seen the message on my work phone, a Note II. But lately it has been reported a lot on the Moto forum also. It was happening to my Droid Maxx and logging out of the G+ app fixed it for me. I have not had the message appear since I stopped using the G+ app. There were two updates to the G+ app lately and some folks said the first one fixed the issue and the message stopped...until the second update and now it's back again. Very strange. But it definitely affects many different Android phone models & brands and there are quite a few tips, tricks and troubleshooting steps available that seem to work for some and not for others.

Last edited:
OP
Skipper

Skipper

Reaction score
Website
www.blackhole.net
Current Phone Model
I did find some of those after I posted. I tried "uninstalling updates" to G+ and "stopping" plus reboots but the error continued. Again, it magically cleared after a longer incoming call. Odd....