Understanding Advanced Task Killer Free

Naruto

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that if you don't have ATKF (Advanced Task Killer Free), you should get it. It's a godsend. This thread is nothing more than a compilation of my experiences with the program. I hope you can all find some use for the information herein.

I have noticed here (and all over the internet in general) the countless questions regarding ATKF, applications staying open after they have been closed, and an overall lack of memory. All of these issues, especially when they occur together, can drastically slow down the speed of your Droid making it difficult to do the simplest of tasks.

If you go to the top of the Droid screen and pull the tab down, you can switch to the ATKF program. From my experience, by clicking "KILL selected apps" the first time kills all of the current applications that you have opened recently and some that your Droid opens by default. Those programs that tend to open by default include Alarm Clock, Corporate Calendar, Messaging, and (sometimes) Settings. At this time none of these applications can be deleted or turned off.
*If you do kill any of these applications, the next time your phone locks or you pull up the applications tab from the bottom of your screen they will restart and you will have to kill them again. These applications tend to take up anywhere from 10-20M of memory.*

At this point, after you have killed those programs, take a second and kill ATKF too. If you restart the program you will almost always notice other programs that were open as well. I believe that there is either a limit to the amount of programs viewable by ATKF or some apps take precidence over others.
*In any case, a second run of ATKF will ensure that your phone is running at full capacity.*

All in all, after your Droid has been completely "killed" it should run at anywhere from 95-105M memory available. It is important to do this if you are about to play a memory intensive game (ie: Quake) or open multiple windows of any sort.

It took me a long time to figure this one out and it helped my Droid run a lot quicker. I plan to make a few more posts about some other topics. Once again, I hope this is of use :)

OP
Naruto

Naruto

Reaction score
bumping incase anyone hasn't had a chance to check it out, had a few people say it was a huge help already ;)

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
The latest consensus is that these steps are not necessary. See the top sticky in the Droid General Discussions forum.

OP
Naruto

Naruto

Reaction score
The latest consensus is that these steps are not necessary. See the top sticky in the Droid General Discussions forum.

actually, i've tested this as well and disagree. have you ever tried playing quake or doom with less than 60-70m? no additional apps close, you'll lag until you need to force quit.

if i let my droid run wild i'll drop as low as 40m and the entire phone begins to lag. once again, no additional apps close.

as i wrote, sometimes i'm down to 60m and i kill the programs and i'm at 80m. if i run the program again you'll see more programs, kill those and i'm at 105. i play quake, it runs as smooth as it was on a pc.

and once again, as i wrote, its important if you want to do something that'll take a lot of memory.l

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
bump for good advice and the users who don't have Task Killer

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Ive read the thread in question and uninstalled my Task Killer. I have Open Home installed on my Droid and have had some speed issues and Force Closes. I reinstalled ATKF and noticed after I opened the app that I only have 32mb of free memory. I ignored the apps that needed ignored and hit kill selected apps and my memory shot up to 96mb. I think I may try this for a while and see if my speed/force close issues dont cease.

OP
Naruto

Naruto

Reaction score
Ive read the thread in question and uninstalled my Task Killer. I have Open Home installed on my Droid and have had some speed issues and Force Closes. I reinstalled ATKF and noticed after I opened the app that I only have 32mb of free memory. I ignored the apps that needed ignored and hit kill selected apps and my memory shot up to 96mb. I think I may try this for a while and see if my speed/force close issues dont cease.

i'm weary of using open home or any similar programs. using themes basically creates a secondary desktop that lays over the default one (it takes up a lot of memory). i tried this in the beginning and the theme itself lagged the phone, now i'm content with just a wallpaper and my three screens.

PRince

Reaction score
Idk if this is the right thread for this. But sometimes my atk works great & my phone runs quickly bit lately everytime I click it. It restarts my eris, puts media a full volume and has more apps running then b4 I started the program. I'm gonna hit ignore on all the default. Programs to see if that helps. But does anyone have any ideas or could u redirect me to a thread that might help

OP
Naruto

Naruto

Reaction score
Idk if this is the right thread for this. But sometimes my atk works great & my phone runs quickly bit lately everytime I click it. It restarts my eris, puts media a full volume and has more apps running then b4 I started the program. I'm gonna hit ignore on all the default. Programs to see if that helps. But does anyone have any ideas or could u redirect me to a thread that might help

It's possible that another application is messing with it. If you installed an app just before this all started happening, delete it. Otherwise, I would suggest that you delete ATKF and reinstall it, that tends to work when I'm having problems with an app. If not, do some research and find another task killer program.

Contrary to popular belief, ATKF (or any task killer apps) is essential to keeping your phone running smoothly.

marooned910

Reaction score
I installed ATK, ignored my clock and calendar, but my alarms stopped working. what did I do wrong?

tj1davis

Reaction score
I installed ATK, ignored my clock and calendar, but my alarms stopped working. what did I do wrong?

I've just had my Incredible for a week so this is all new to me. But I have been having a problem with my alarm clock running too. I have added it to the ignore list as well but it still will not alarm after I run ATKF. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dr.Soul

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-not-worry-about-apps-running-background.html

Some light reading. Task killers are hype, provide no real benefit.

I used ATK for quite awhile and the other day after researching it and testing its benefits over the last few months I finally deleted it. If after reading the above post in the link if you are not convinced to leave behind your task killing program, may I suggest MinFreeManager or a similar program that only tweaks your phones natural task killing feature. Set it to aggressive,check set at boot, and never touch it again. Its great not having to maintain a task killer.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android has a built-in automated task killer. Unless u r running some poorly designed or malicious apps, u shouldn't ever need to kill anything.