Unable to input text

Rettocs

Reaction score
I had a similar problem yesterday, but it was on the Facebook app. I was using the physical keyboard, and nothing would come up from my typing. it was so annoying that I just put my droid away for the night. I don't know what happened, but it sucks!

m3kilpat

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, as well as a similar one... Every few times when I go to answer a text, from either the landscape or portrait on-screen keyboard, it comes up, but won't let me type... In portrait, the keyboard looks fine, but nothing types; in landscape, the keyboard comes most of the way up, but does not fully load, and does not let me type... I need to go out and back in to the text to get it to work... Physical keyboard always works... Is anyone else having this same problem? I am using the original messaging program that came with the Droid... I just want to make sure I don't need to replace the phone to get it to work right :wacko:

Like other people I am having this same problem. I use stock messaging and sms popup. I turned sms popup off and still received the problem (but not uninstalled). I get this issue multiple times a day and it is extremely annoying...as in like 50% of the time i respond to a text. I just back out to the main messages screen and it fixes the issue, but still annoying as hell. I hope someone figures out the cause or if it's a messaging issue that it is fixed in the update.

I've also only noticed this in the messaging app and nowhere else. Though I don't type in many other places apart from the browser and market.

Last edited:

vettecbtc

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, as well as a similar one... Every few times when I go to answer a text, from either the landscape or portrait on-screen keyboard, it comes up, but won't let me type... In portrait, the keyboard looks fine, but nothing types; in landscape, the keyboard comes most of the way up, but does not fully load, and does not let me type... I need to go out and back in to the text to get it to work... Physical keyboard always works... Is anyone else having this same problem? I am using the original messaging program that came with the Droid... I just want to make sure I don't need to replace the phone to get it to work right :wacko:

Like other people I am having this same problem. I use stock messaging and sms popup. I turned sms popup off and still received the problem (but not uninstalled). I get this issue multiple times a day and it is extremely annoying...as in like 50% of the time i respond to a text. I just back out to the main messages screen and it fixes the issue, but still annoying as hell. I hope someone figures out the cause or if it's a messaging issue that it is fixed in the update.

I've also only noticed this in the messaging app and nowhere else. Though I don't type in many other places apart from the browser and market.

I also was using the SMS popup with the stock messaging program... Sounds to me like that might be the culprit... I uninstalled, but also just switched to Handscent last night... So far, I'm liking it better... But my guess is that uninstalling SMS popup may resolve the problem most of the time... If not, it may have had something to do with an update.

Kerchak

Reaction score
I have this problem happen every once in a while too. It's happened to me while using my normal texting or SMS texting. It's also happened when I was using Facebook and Youtube. I noticed that the box where your text appears is highlighted with an orange box and when this problem occurs, it's all grayed out. The orange box isn't there. It forces me to use the sliding keyboard (which I don't like doing because I have that stupid hard case that scratches your phone when you slide it open) and that seems to be the only way to get the text to show up. This problem and the no sound from ear piece after headphone usage seem to be the two main problems with the Droid and both are extremely annoying.

ethant

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I do not use SMS popup. When it occurs on my phone all text entry is effected (SMS, GTalk, search, etc.) Waiting a while or powercycling are the only things that seem to fix it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Definitely seen this a few times. Usually I'll have to close out everything, get to the home screen and open messages back up to get it to work.

liezl

Reaction score
this is happening to me more often than not.

I will get a text message (using the stock text message app), pull up the stock virtual keyboard to respond, and the keyboard will not respond, neither will swype. In fact, some of the swype keys are missing all together.

I'm not sure if it's a swype issue, or a droid issue.

However, I took a screen cap to so people can see that I'm not nuts. I haven't found this issue within swype forums or here.

20100322-xsidg4sh4x4bm3p7ywxuph7899.jpg

The only temporary fix I found is to restart my phone, but the keyboard will stop working shortly thereafter.

Droid 2.0.1
Swype Version 5652

mixedterp05

Reaction score
same thing here...

I have Handscent and Swype. It has happened to me while using Swype as well as regular texting inputting methods. My trial of Swype expired, so I dont use it anymore but it is still installed on my Droid. Either way, this happens 2-3 times a week with my regular text input method and Handscent. It is extremely annoying and the only fix I have found is to restart my Droid. Hope someone can help us out there...

b4dhome

Reaction score
Same issue but with all inputs

I have the same issue only I am not able to enter any text in any application.

I can start to enter text in messaging and it will take 4-5 characters and then stop responding. In 15 seconds or so, it will shutdown messaging.

The same thing happens with Gmail and the Browser. I receive a message that says, "Activity Browser (in application Browser) is not responding" Force Close or wait

I have shutdown my phone and even pulled out the battery. Nothing seems to correct it.

Ashis Dash

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Duos GT-S6802
I am also facing similar problem.
Sometimes I am unable to type anything, whether on android message or other apps. This persists for 15-20 mins and is very annoying.

What can be the problem and how to fix it? Kindly suggest.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I am also facing similar problem.
Sometimes I am unable to type anything, whether on android message or other apps. This persists for 15-20 mins and is very annoying.

What can be the problem and how to fix it? Kindly suggest.
Welcome to the Forum.

What make and model phone do you have? Is it stock or rooted?

Ashis Dash

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Duos GT-S6802
Welcome to the Forum.

What make and model phone do you have? Is it stock or rooted?

Make - Samsung
Model no. - GT-S6802
Android version - 2.3.6 - Gingerbread
Stock

popoyez

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone5
if it is a typo mistake or error, it would also appear while typing some thing online or does it happen only offline, i mean in your text only.

It will clear the issue of typing tab or your handset ///

Ashis Dash

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Duos GT-S6802
Happens in offline texting also. For eg, even when I am sending SMS, the same problem persists.