Unable to customize folder icons on DROID Phone connected to PC

charge123

Reaction score
Hello,

I can successfully customize folder icons on a removable Flash Disk using Desktop.ini file and a separate icon file. But I am unable to do the same thing on folders on the connected phone device that, for all I know, is similar to a removable device. The phone is a Samsung Droid Charge. When I copy the Desktop.ini and the folder containing the icon file from the pc to the memory card, nothing happens. The icons for the folders still have the same default appearance. Don't know how many people care to have custom icons but it is a nice thing to have when you are always trying to identify a few folders from many.

I posted this on DROID CHARGE forum and no one replied. Hope it is alright to repost here as this is a wider group.
Is there anyone out there who can give me some tips. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
jose

solar

Reaction score
Desktop.ini is a windows file and the android OS built on linux doesn't recognize it. You can't change the icons of folders you see when browsing via file explorers (as far as I know) but you can change icons on your home screens with tools like Desktop Vizualizer (which is free).

OP
C

charge123

Reaction score
Thank you Solar for responding. Not the answer I was looking for but you threw some light on it.

OP
C

charge123

Reaction score
Humble request to Master Droid Solar: Could this be something that sparks your interest. To write a few lines of code into android to support Desktop.ini.
God knows where all this is written and I don't have a clue what it takes.!!:blink:

solar

Reaction score
sorry, didn't get the update to this thread. :) I appreciate the vote of confidence, but i'm a networking guy, not much of a programmer. :redface: