Unable to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hmmmm, not sure on that one. but i don't think RZR's latest version is available as a recovery.img file - i think you might need to flash it as an update.zip. his current version is 0.1.7, i believe (and working on 0.1.8). dl that to sdcard, rename it as update.zip, go into RM and "flash alternate recovery", boot into SPR, and install. then reboot and see if you can't it to flash for you that way.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1.8 is up in update.zip format.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
E

Eulogy

Reaction score
@guidot: I've rooted it, but yes, I believe it's still the stock 2.2 build.

@huskerkate: I just extracted the zip file of the RZR to get the img file out and flashed that. That was mentioned as a method of installing somewhere early in the thread, I think.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

@huskerkate: I just extracted the zip file of the RZR to get the img file out and flashed that. That was mentioned as a method of installing somewhere early in the thread, I think.

i would just flash it as an update.zip. but, that's because i don't really know my way around ADB. i just flashed 0.1.8, and it worked for me....

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So you need to ROM or use my advice from above.

I would suggest the update.zip from the guide. That way if you bootloop you wont have to wipe everything and hope it works.

SBF'ing is no fun.

OP
E

Eulogy

Reaction score
guidot: So I tried to follow the guide as far as installing the rooted Android 2.2 ROM, after installing SBRecovery via RSD Lite. Sadly, the same exact behavior exists with SBRecovery.. the first reboot into recovery works, but subsequent attempts show the yellow exclamation icon. I don't think this is going to happen on my phone... :(

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you flashed the update.zip in sprecovery?

You didn't need to do the whole first part.

Just grab the update.zip file out of that thread and flash it.

Thats all you need.

OP
E

Eulogy

Reaction score
I haven't.. with it only appearing to be able to load into whatever recovery I've flashed once, I'm worried that if something goes wrong with the ROM flash, I wouldn't be able to boot into neither Android nor recovery mode. I'd prefer the phone to last through November since that's when it'll hit the two year point.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The update.zip in the guide you have been reading does nothing but add root. I'm not suggesting you flash a ROM. But the only way you are going to be able to boot into custom recovery everytime without flashing a ROM is to flash that update.zip. That guide is how to root properly. I've not heard of a single bootloop with it.

Besides, its a droid. Unbrickable.

Last edited:
OP
E

Eulogy

Reaction score
Okay.. not sure why, but flashing the update.zip file seems to fix the problem of not being able to get back into recovery after one time. I went ahead and installed RZR again, and copied the latest CyanogenMod zipfile and the google apps zip into /sdcard/updates, and booted into recovery, cleared everything out, and then tried to install it...and got "E: Couldn't open directory!"

Thankfully I backed up earlier today, and I could restore that. Any idea what's up that error? I mena.. it can clearly get into the directory to list the ROMs available in it..

(BTW, trying to flash ClockworkMod Recovery still fails.. that's gotta be a hardware failure.)

mr_silent

Reaction score
I've heard in post somewhere that clockwork was downloading a bad recovery image. The guy said that the image file on his sd was(don't quote me on this) 4mb. When he went into his backup files he found the old image from his nandroid, and it was only about 3mb. When he flashed the 3mb image it took right away and fixed his recovery issues.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok.

One step at a time here.

Did you read any of the guide? Why do you think I had you flash the update.zip? Motocache1 developed it to get rid of FRS which is the reason you couldnt get into recovery more than once.

Best thing to do is stick with sprecovery or clockwork mod recovery. RZR isn't for the faint of heart.

To flash cwmr, the best thing to do (if you really want cwmr) is to install ROM manager and flash it that way. You should flash it multiple times in a row to get it to stick. If the progress bar takes more than 45 secs I would flash again.

Good luck.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Okay.. not sure why, but flashing the update.zip file seems to fix the problem of not being able to get back into recovery after one time. I went ahead and installed RZR again, and copied the latest CyanogenMod zipfile and the google apps zip into /sdcard/updates, and booted into recovery, cleared everything out, and then tried to install it...and got "E: Couldn't open directory!"

You need to create and put the rom in a further subfolder, for me I did /sdcard/updates/cyanogenmod/cm_sholes_full-27.zip. I put the gapps file there as well. I just did a flash of those last night with it setup just like that and had no problems. That is part of reading all 47 pages. Also, the problem that you are experiencing with RZRecovery not sticking used to be able to be solved without flashing a custom rom. RZR USED to have an option in the 'extras' menu, you'll see an option to disable the flash recovery service. I just caught myself on that one, I booted into RZR 0.1.8 just to find that option no longer exists, going to the thread now to ask why.

good luck

edit, well there's 0.1.9 released, but a furvor erupted and now the thread is 50 pages, but closed; even though the changelog says the disable flash recovery service is there, it's not on my 0.1.8 nor on 0.1.9.

Last edited:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
teddy is correct. under the updates folder, you need to create another subfolder. this is designed so that you can separate all of your rom files (and add ons) by developer, yet still keep them all together under the "updates" section. for example, you can have an Actngrezy subfolder (for PE roms and themes), Bugless Beast, Cyanogen, Liquid, kernels, keyboards, inverted apps, etc, etc.