Unable to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery

OP
E

Eulogy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I did go through the entire thread today and saw my mistake about not having things in subfolders in /updates. As for not following the guide properly, it did say to skip that step if you had already rooted your phone.. I didn't realize that there was a flash recovery service to get rid of.

So this evening I tried erasing cache/system/data, and installing a CyanogenMod daily, followed by google apps. It all appeared to install properly, but when I rebooted, it just stayed at the Motorola logo indefinitely.

As far as using ClockworkMod Recovery, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a bad block that prevents me from installing a recovery that large.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I have a bad block that prevents me from installing a recovery that large.

And that there might be the hardest hurdle for us to get over. Is your phone still under warranty?

OP
E

Eulogy

Reaction score
Not under warranty.. but the bad block only prevents me from installing ClockworkMod Recovery. The RZ Recovery takes just fine.. I am just curious what I could've done wrong while installing Cyanogen from RZR.

I wiped data, cache, and system (I didn't wipe boot since I figured that the Cyanogen ROM would be in the "koush" format, since he's an author of Cyanogen, right?)

I then flashed the Cyanogen ROM, followed up with the google apps ROM, and tried to reboot into Android after that. Everything said it installed properly.

When it didn't work, I was able to restore from my backup and reboot just fine, which leads me to believe that the RZ recovery I've got on there is working properly.

If there's any flaw in how I installed, please let me know! Thanks again for all the input in this thread!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
No, you did everything correctly, exactly how I did it using RZRecovery, wipe, install rom, then gapps, then reboot. Now sometimes after installing a new rom, it will take quite a while to boot up the first time, however, I am sure you waited longer than a long time.

And that is why I hinted about your bad blocks. It (they) might be affecting your phone in more ways than not allowing CWRecovery to install. Maybe try it again by going to wipe all on RZR, then do the installs exactly how you did it before and see what happens.

good luck

Last edited:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you may want to pm another member, kershaw (another fine Husker member ;)) - if memory serves, he had a similar "bad block" issue. he works in the computer software field, and may be able to give you some pointers/possible solutions.

OP
E

Eulogy

Reaction score
Hey guys.. just wanted to let you all know that I tried again tonight with the latest nightly build, and after following the same procedure, everything seems to be working. Hooray! Thanks for all the helpful posts!

MaverickVirus

Reaction score
In RM you have to repeatedly "flash alternate recovery" and then "flash clockworkmod recovery" until you get a successful flash message within 3-5 seconds of flashing CWM - otherwise CWM wont "take". I've had this happen before, and it can take 5+ times of flashing back and forth for it to take.

Another option is to flash Raidzero's new recovery. It's a significant mod of SPR, and it is amazing! Has all the features of CWM, and then some!

Tappin like a mutha.

How many times can I say thank you! Well apparently once. I was having issues and began thinking I somehow messed up my phone and was going to give up until I saw this thread. So I did as you suggested and it worked on my very next try (technology loves to do these things). Thanks a lot, my phone works when booting into recovery now and I'm gonna go install CM7. KTHXBAI