unable to access Yahoo and AOL mail after suspend and reactivate...

labrasaurus

Reaction score
ok, I'm an average old lady who uses technology limitedly. Other than calls, I use my phone for email, Facebook & Twitter. limitedly. I lost my phone the other night, and had the account suspended (Verizon) to avoid someone racking up charges downloading music or some other nonsense. In the process of trying to protect my personal info, I changed a few email passwords, specifically Yahoo, comcast and my work email. AOL was not changed. Today I had the phone returned to me, and had it reactivated. I was able to update the password on my work account and my comcast account, but am unable to receive email on AOL or Yahoo. Yahoo will not allow me to change the password or delete the account, nor can I delete the AOL account. Getting a message 401 - Unauthorized with the attempts. Any clue how to fix this without reverting completely back to factory settings? I've been trying to find an answer, but of course, neither Verizon nor Yahoo have any help to offer...

acejavelin

Reaction score
Are you using the AOL and Yahoo apps for to access those emails? If you are, go to Settings->Apps and scroll down to the apps and tap them open, there is a button called "Clear Data" click them for each app individually, then the next time you open the apps they should prompt you to setup the account again.

If you are not using the apps and are using the embedded mail application that came with the phone, go to Settings->Accounts and click into each one, there should be settings to change the password, if not then just delete the accounts here and add them back in again.

OP
L

labrasaurus

Reaction score
Are you using the AOL and Yahoo apps for to access those emails? If you are, go to Settings->Apps and scroll down to the apps and tap them open, there is a button called "Clear Data" click them for each app individually, then the next time you open the apps they should prompt you to setup the account again.

If you are not using the apps and are using the embedded mail application that came with the phone, go to Settings->Accounts and click into each one, there should be settings to change the password, if not then just delete the accounts here and add them back in again.

I'm apparently using the embedded mail application, and when I go to Settings>Accounts, (I've done this already), it says the only way I can remove these accounts is to "reset the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all of your personal data)". I'm rather reluctant to do that, I have a lot of other things installed/saved, having had the phone over a year, and as bad as it was spending a few hours trying in vain to either change the passwords or delete these accounts, they're only two of many. If there's no other way to do this, I'll have to suffer until February when I can upgrade my phone again. I will not make the same mistake again, however. Thanks for your reply.
:)

acejavelin

Reaction score
Interesting... You should be able to delete any account except the original Google account that was used to setup the phone. Are you sure you were inside the account you wanted to delete when you tried to delete it?

Also, backing up and factory defaulting is not that difficult... most data can just be copied to the SD card (that is not wiped in a factory default unless you specify it to be) or to a PC, things like SMS can be backed up with the embedded messaging app, contacts can be moved to Google (where they are stored and automatically restored), apps will be reinstalled automatically if you choose to... It really isn't that difficult.

Anyway, its up to you, if you require more assistance, just ask.