Uh oh. No mobile hotspot for Thunderbolt?

Raptor007

Reaction score
Once its rooted, bootloader is unlocked and you root it, does it really matter? There's an app for that and its free.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
Once its rooted, bootloader is unlocked and you root it, does it really matter? There's an app for that and its free.

I'm just not the rooting type! Had my OG droid for a year now and have been happy. I really want the legit hotspot function now though and was eyeing the Thunderbolt. Don't think I can wait for the Bionic to get some 4G goodness.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm just not the rooting type! Had my OG droid for a year now and have been happy. I really want the legit hotspot function now though and was eyeing the Thunderbolt. Don't think I can wait for the Bionic to get some 4G goodness.

It will probably get it enabled in a later update for the phone. However I will root asap so this is no problem for me XD

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

motty69

Reaction score
OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

Can't get to that blog from work, but if I recall correctly the image gave me the impression that it just won't support it at launch. Meaning it will probably be enable with a post launch update that VZW has already stated will be neccessary for other minor issues.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that there had already stated something about an update on other issues. Otherwise, I'm reluctant to trust how quickly they'd enable the hotspot if it isn't available at launch...I like a bird in the hand!

derekmiller12

Reaction score
Rooting will solve that problem...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

What exactly is rooting? I have a BB Strom 2 now and I am looking to get a TB when it comes out.. I see people talkin about rooting and I have no idea what they are talkin about and the benefits it actually has.. Any help?

razor2006

Reaction score
Literally you're allowing root access to the filesystem on the phone. Therefore you can do things it won't normally allow. You could think of it as being similar to jailbreaking an iPhone.

leonozug

Reaction score

All you have to do is wait for UnrEVOked to come out with a version that roots the Thunderbolt, it will probably take less than a week to come out...download UnrEVOked to your computer, hook your phone up to your computer and press a button and you'll be rooted. That's a lot better than paying Verizon $20 extra bucks a month for their mobile hotspots. Look up UnrEVOked up on YouTube and how you root the EVO to see how it's done. Really simple process. And once you're rooted, you don't have to flash roms or anything like that, just get wireless tether for free on the market and you'll also be able to get rid of any bloatware with titanium backup.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

All you have to do is wait for UnrEVOked to come out with a version that roots the Thunderbolt, it will probably take less than a week to come out...download UnrEVOked to your computer, hook your phone up to your computer and press a button and you'll be rooted. That's a lot better than paying Verizon $20 extra bucks a month for their mobile hotspots. Look up UnrEVOked up on YouTube and how you root the EVO to see how it's done. Really simple process. And once you're rooted, you don't have to flash roms or anything like that, just get wireless tether for free on the market and you'll also be able to get rid of any bloatware with titanium backup.

Wow that does sound easy...

dewey77772002

Reaction score
Quick question. If you root and/or unlock bootloader and then the phone has some sort of malfunction at a future date unrelated to that, does that mean that verizon or htc will not replace the phone for free because its been personalized? I know I've heard of apple taking a strict stance against their unlocked devices and refuse to repair or replace them, so I was wondering.

leonozug

Reaction score

Wow that does sound easy...

Well....that's if they don't lock up the Thunderbolt on us. If they do, then it ain't gonna be easy at all!! lol

leonozug

Reaction score
Quick question. If you root and/or unlock bootloader and then the phone has some sort of malfunction at a future date unrelated to that, does that mean that verizon or htc will not replace the phone for free because its been personalized? I know I've heard of apple taking a strict stance against their unlocked devices and refuse to repair or replace them, so I was wondering.

Absolutely. If you let Verizon see that you rooted your phone, they won't help you at all. You would have to un-root it if you want them to help you out.
Unless your phone won't turn on at all and they can't fix it and couldn't tell it's rooted, then you would be OK. That's happened to me before and I got a free new phone. :)