Uh Oh... is Verizon dropping Google Search on all future phones?

Signum

Reaction score
bing must be doing something right as they are now the number two search engine in the world...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

What does that really have to do with anything? Pepsi is the number 2 soft drink maker in the world but their products still suck and I'd never buy them. It was very easy for bing to get to #1 because they have the might of the evil empire behind them. Just like they did with internet explorer microsoft tries to force you to use bing. It will never pass google however just like pepsi will never pass coke.

My point was that there are millions of people that use bing. Whether you like it or not, it is a viable search option

picasso

Reaction score
My point was that there are millions of people that use bing. Whether you like it or not, it is a viable search option

I understood your point sig. It's just not a viable alternative for me. My point is that most people using bing are probably doing so for the same reason they use IE, which is that they are sheep. Over 50% 0f the world still uses IE even though they know that the chances of getting a virus or malware is much greater with IE than with firefox, chrome, safari, etc.

JLB09

Reaction score
I love how anytime something happens to make anyone unhappy they are going to change carriers.

Whiny people.

Yeah, like changing carriers is even that easy, realistic or cheaply done.

picasso

Reaction score
I love how anytime something happens to make anyone unhappy they are going to change carriers.

Whiny people.

Yeah, like changing carriers is even that easy, realistic or cheaply done.

That was the whole point of the thread. I'm not deciding on the phone till I decide on the carrier. Two years is a long time when you know there is going to be so much changing in just the next two months.

Signum

Reaction score

I understood your point sig. It's just not a viable alternative for me. My point is that most people using bing are probably doing so for the same reason they use IE, which is that they are sheep. Over 50% 0f the world still uses IE even though they know that the chances of getting a virus or malware is much greater with IE than with firefox, chrome, safari, etc.

People use IE because its easy to use and there is the comfort that goes along without having to learn something new. We all have Microsoft to blame for that by shoving windows down our throats for the past 20 years. Its just like switching from a PC to a mac. There is the uncertainty that goes with it, and the new learning curve with learning a new OS.

Same can be said about Bing. Google has been the biggest player for years, and now there is a viable option. For those that use Google and are comfortable with it, they have no desire to change. Then again there are the new individuals who will see Bing as a new, viable option

picasso

Reaction score
People use IE because its easy to use and there is the comfort that goes along without having to learn something new. We all have Microsoft to blame for that by shoving windows down our throats for the past 20 years. Its just like switching from a PC to a mac. There is the uncertainty that goes with it, and the new learning curve with learning a new OS.

Same can be said about Bing. Google has been the biggest player for years, and now there is a viable option. For those that use Google and are comfortable with it, they have no desire to change. Then again there are the new individuals who will see Bing as a new, viable option

That's a nice try but that glass don't hold water.

1)There is no real learning curve with firefox. Comparing IE/firefox to PC/mac is ridiculous.

2)Comparing google to microsoft is even more ridiculous. You really can't compare anything to google. There is no business model that even comes close. Google is a company that has made billions of dollars giving things away for free.

dwoid

Reaction score
I agree with you, but if you think about it, so did Microsoft during the early, formative PC days, when all the software manufacturers sort of looked the other way about pirated OSs and pirated software. Then they tightened up the screws.

We are again in the formative years, this time of smartphones, and once again, many if not most of the best things to be gotten are available for free. The names change but the faces remain the same.

...Google is a company that has made billions of dollars giving things away for free.

picasso

Reaction score
I agree with you, but if you think about it, so did Microsoft during the early, formative PC days, when all the software manufacturers sort of looked the other way about pirated OSs and pirated software. Then they tightened up the screws.

We are again in the formative years, this time of smartphones, and once again, many if not most of the best things to be gotten are available for free. The names change but the faces remain the same.

The reason some of the best things are free is because the android os is open source. If you were to take old computers with microsoft os, clean them up, and give them away to the poor, you would still have to pay microsoft a licensing fee or they would take your butt to court.

Lucas5

Reaction score
My guess is that verizon is testing the waters with making bing the default search on the fascinate. if not too many people complain than they could go forward with making more phones with bing as the default search engine. if enough people complain than they might work on an easy method of allowing people to switch to google. that's my guess or theory on this.
anyway, i'm happy with the Droid 1 phone. When I'm ready to purchase a new phone, I'll do some research first. I'll make sure that either the phone comes with google as the default and only search or that the phone has already been rooted and that there's a variety of nice roms to choose from that contain google as the default search.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
This is just all the more reason to root your Droid... and DUMP THE CRAPWARE!

Does rooting the Droid void the warranty?

For sure it voids the warranty. But if you have a problem, there are many ways to get back to stock and from what I've seen on this forum, even unbrick your phone if you do something bad (at least most of the time). But the droid 1 is already EOL (Motorola's own documentation) and others will be EOL by mid next year. Besides, how long is your warranty? A year? and once it's out of warranty, what's the diff? Some folks, of course, are willing to take the risk...

jbwiden

Reaction score
This is just all the more reason to root your Droid... and DUMP THE CRAPWARE!

even unbrick your phone if you do something bad (at least most of the time).

"Brick or Bricked: Jargon for a completely unrecoverable device, (no more than a brick or paperweight"

Thus you cannot "unbrick" a phone. The definition of brick precludes that. If you can fix your phone it was then proved to have not been bricked.

picasso

Reaction score
My guess is that verizon is testing the waters with making bing the default search on the fascinate. if not too many people complain than they could go forward with making more phones with bing as the default search engine. if enough people complain than they might work on an easy method of allowing people to switch to google. that's my guess or theory on this.
anyway, i'm happy with the Droid 1 phone. When I'm ready to purchase a new phone, I'll do some research first. I'll make sure that either the phone comes with google as the default and only search or that the phone has already been rooted and that there's a variety of nice roms to choose from that contain google as the default search.

Nice post.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
even unbrick your phone if you do something bad (at least most of the time).

"Brick or Bricked: Jargon for a completely unrecoverable device, (no more than a brick or paperweight"

Thus you cannot "unbrick" a phone. The definition of brick precludes that. If you can fix your phone it was then proved to have not been bricked.

Gee whiz... sorry 'bout that. Guess you showed me.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/55541-unbrick-pretty-much-anything.html