UDP with used phone

f575gtc

Reaction score
I have a thunderbolt with unlimited data, would I be able to cut the sim card to fit the Note 3 and keep my unlimited data plan if the Note 3 was used and previously used on an unknown data plan?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have a thunderbolt with unlimited data, would I be able to cut the sim card to fit the Note 3 and keep my unlimited data plan if the Note 3 was used and previously used on an unknown data plan?
Yes, the calling and data plan are tied to the SIM card and phone number which had the calling and data plan and not the phone on that phone number and SIM.

It matters none where the phone was previously used, what plan it was on and whether it had unlimited data on that previous plan or not.

The exceptions are IF the phone number that had unlimited data was used to upgrade (get the new phone on subsidy). Then the data plan must change.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Definitely would work. Just don't get a subsidized phone or change any plan features. Don't even call your carrier about it lol just snip the card and pop it in. Good to go.

_lisa_

Reaction score
Definitely would work. Just don't get a subsidized phone or change any plan features. Don't even call your carrier about it lol just snip the card and pop it in. Good to go.
So you are saying that I should be able to buy a phone off of Ebay and put my sim card in it and not loose my UDP? I thought that Verizon was forcing those that have been grandfathered with UDP in to buy a phone at Retail cost to keep their UDP. If you got a phone else where the plan was going to be forced to change? Please fill me in!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Lisa....yes that is correct. If you buy a phone elsewhere and put your current SIM card in it and activate it, that should not change your plan. If you buy the phone at Verizon on a payment plan option, that's when your plan changes

Reactions: cr6

_lisa_

Reaction score
I have been told that they will know you changed phones and will force a change. No way to buy an after market phone. I want a new phone badly and I was under the impression I had no choice but to buy a Retail phone from Verizon. I have a note 3 with a sim card hubby has a note 2 with sim card so apparently I can continue on like I have purchasing phones on line and not changing my plan. I have 2 UDP with the new charge, we are trying to get you grandfathered folks off this plan. I was paying $9.99 a line but now I am at $29.99 because of the price increase. I still have my $20 per line discount. I guess 4 years @ $9.99 I screwed them
Also, Do they still do the NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 1400 plan? I also have the VZW to VZW free & I have friends and family still.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sure, they will know you activated a new phone on the network. That process doesn't change the plan you are on.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was on the Nationwide talk, text 1400 plan until recently. I think all the new plans are: Unlimited talk and text, pick a data size. If you don't change your plan...what you have now stays in effect.

_lisa_

Reaction score
Damn I don't know what I was thinking this is something I have done for years. So all I am annoyed by I can't add my kids to the plan not looking to get them UTD just add them to my plan with them having smart phones. I have my daughter on there but she has no data she has an old flip phone, that she could get online with. But the boy has nothing

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I added my kids to my plan and I kept UD. They had 2GB each and I kept UD. That was 2 years ago...but think you can still do it. As long as YOU don't buy a phone at Verizon on a payment plan. I could be wrong though, but that's how it worked for me. I changed my plan to cut my bill by a lot, but I had UD for 2 years with my kids on my plan with them at 2 GB each.