You've got to try UD 3.3.1 on your nook color - it's absolutely great! Like having a whole new tablet - I was on phiremod beta 2 and was pretty pleased - but this is SO much better!
I get an assert failed error E:Error in /sdcard/ultimate_encore-ota-eng.blackdroid.3.1.1.zip (status 7) aborted.
Hello. The following are instructions for putting Ultmated Droid on your NC.
I want to start by saying that you can find all of this over at xda, and some of the tools you will need for this are there, as well as on other sites. I am no going to include any links to their site, as they can get testy, so if you would like check them out.
We will start with the assumption that you have rooted your NC. Good. The process for doing this is similar to flashing a different rom.
Also, I am not responsible if your NC dies from this, or if it turns into a fire monster and eats your children, or if it writes a memoir about how bad you treated it. Only you are responsible for what you do to your NC, and only you can prevent forest fires.
1. Learn how to make a ext 4 sdcard boot image. The best direction for this is mentioned above, along with all the files you need. Choose the size of image based upon the size of card you have, I believe they have images up to 8gb right now. Once you have your card ready, you are ready to go to the step 2.
2. Download UD nightly. Pay for a subscription you cheapo if you are now asking yourself "How do I get the nightly?". Place this on the root of the ext 4 sdcard you made. You can download from your NC, but if you have written the image for the card already, it is faster to download it on your pc and just copy it over to the card, but whatever makes you happy.
3. Power off you NC. Put the sdcard in it. Power on your NC. You will see the clockworkmod recovery menu you are used to (Power button is back, vc is scrolling, and the N logo button is choose). Your sdcard makes your NC boot from the sdcard. Right now this is the best way to get this done. At some point this process may get more like what we are all used to, but for now this is what we got.
4. Make a backup. If you don't know why you should do this, we can no longer be friends.
5.This must be done in this order. Go down to mounts and storage. Format system. Format data. Format cache. Before you leave this menu, make sure that the sdcard is mounted, which means that it should say unmount sdcard. If it doesn't choose to mount sdcard. Then back out of this menu. Go down to install zip from sdcard. Choose it. Scroll down to UD nightly. Choose it apply it.
6. Next is to reboot, but before you do, remember to remove the sdcard. If you power back on with it in remember it will boot from the card until you take it out. Remove the sdcard. Reboot.
7. UD is on your Nook Color.
This method applies to any rom that is emmc based. Some roms run from the sdcard, but most are like UD and run off of emmc(internal memory).
As a suggestion, I would get a few sdcards so you don't have to format the card and write a new boot image everyday. Get a 8gb card and write your image on it and keep it aside for the next night or whatever. Once you have rebooted you system, put in your regular sdcard for downloading etc.
Happy flashing, and I hope this helps. You can ask me any quesions via pm, or check in on irc.
So far I'm loving UD on my nook color. I have basically tried every rom available for the nook color (there is only about 5) and this rom is definitely the most stable/feature packed. There are a few annoyances, but I find them moreso with ultimatedroid in general rather than this specific version for the nook color.