Typing Problem in Chrome

Danny123

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm trying to make sure I'm not the only person going nuts with this problem. I've been using Chrome since ICS update (stock) and every once in a while an extra space is added after each letter I type in an onscreen field (e.g., this never happens when I type in the address bar). It happens only in Chrome and happens only sporadically. I can't reliably recreate it but it does happen every now and then. I searched the forums (and the web) and there have been a few other posts about a similar behavior but not specifically for Chrome.

Anyone?

CaptainSeth

Reaction score
This happens to me sometimes, too. Can't explain, recreate, or fix it. Your not the only one!

Sent from my DROID RAZR by the power of Greyskull

CaptainSeth

Reaction score
I am. Never thought about switching the keyboard...hmmm...

joshxdroid

Reaction score
CaptainSeth said:
I am. Never thought about switching the keyboard...hmmm...

This happens to me also, and i use Swype. It doesn't happen if i actually Swype the word in, but i do believe the Swype function is what is adding the spaces.

OP
D

Danny123

Reaction score
Are you using SWYPE as the default keyboard?

Yes I am. Drives me nuts since you don't find it until after you've swyped a whole bunch of words. And sometimes when I do swype (vs. tap the letters in swype), the tracking goes all crazy and starts putting in weird characters and makes the cursor jump elsewhere. really annoying

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Danny123 said:
Yes I am. Drives me nuts since you don't find it until after you've swyped a whole bunch of words. And sometimes when I do swype (vs. tap the letters in swype), the tracking goes all crazy and starts putting in weird characters and makes the cursor jump elsewhere. really annoying

Yeah I've noticed that too.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
The fix is simple. Go into Swype settings (hold the button with the finger and swype line until settings come up). Choose preference. Uncheck auto-spacing.

The one downfall for this is that you'll have to manually hit a space between words.

What is causing this is swype gets into a mode where it thinks you are swyping a 1 letter word every time you hit a key and then auto-spaces. If you turn that feature off it fixes it, but again it requires you to hit the space bar between words.

Hope this helps.