Txt message

kkwan77

Reaction score
Has anyone else encountered a msg from Verizon after sending a txt that exceeds 160 char limit? Does this mean that the 2nd half (portion that is over 160) of the txt is cut off and lost?

Or does this send it in 2 txts? :icon_eek:

txskeets

Reaction score
I believe if your sending the txt to a VZW user it will show up all as one, and if you send it to a non VZW user it splits it into 2. Not 100% sure though.

OP
K

kkwan77

Reaction score
If it splits it up as 2 that's great, I just wanted to verify it didn't cut off the txt past 160.

sgoldwa

Reaction score
Here is what I found. I did not see any indicator staying how many characters I had left out of the max 160 and if I exceeded 160, VZW sent me a warning text message indicating that only the first 160 characters had been sent.

This kind of sucks - I at least want to know how many characters I am using while I am drafting the text msg. Am I missing something?

txskeets

Reaction score
That was one nice thing on my other VZW phones. It would tell me how many characters I had left. Hmmm, wonder if "there's an app for that" for the Droid? :)

jweber

Reaction score
texting

I know ChompSMS has a character count and I believe Handcent does as well. I have only used Chomp myself. It looks like the iphone texting app. link gives you screen shots, only think I don't know is if it has a landscape keyboard... used it on a friends G1 a long time ago and don't remember (It's Free BTW)

chompSMS v2.12 Application for Android | Communication

txskeets

Reaction score
Thanks jweber, I will check it out. You dont by chance live in the Austin, TX area do you? Just know someone that uses the same name as you on here. :)

jweber

Reaction score
Orlando, Fl

Good luck witht he apps, from the info I've gathered they are the 2 most commonly used.

thrashtrash

Reaction score
handcent

Handcent SMS has a character count as well as a pop up for quick replies. in my opinion this is the best texting app on the market. i sometimes forget this is some people's first android device..haha

jweber

Reaction score
Handcent SMS has a character count as well as a pop up for quick replies. in my opinion this is the best texting app on the market. i sometimes forget this is some people's first android device..haha

I took your advice and downloaded handcent today instead of chomp when FedEx delivered my droid today. I really like it and it has the reminder notifications that android OS is lacking. Without a beep every 2 minutes my wife would never see she has text messages.

Thx

ts05518

Reaction score
Has anyone else encountered a msg from Verizon after sending a txt that exceeds 160 char limit? Does this mean that the 2nd half (portion that is over 160) of the txt is cut off and lost?

Or does this send it in 2 txts? :icon_eek:
The letters after the 160 are cut off. They don't go on another file. However, I can't seem to find out were the letter count is tallied. How do we know if we are getting close to 160? Enquiring Minds want to know.

raven1911

Reaction score
There is an option in Handcent where you can cut it off at 160 and send two or more text messages if you go over that character count. I like Handcent!

Benton

Reaction score
Using stock text sw there is a small pop-up that shows the character count from 151-160 in the box I am typing. It is a (very) small font and can easily be missed.