TTY Support under Android OS

tgbrowning

Reaction score
I'm sure most users have gone through the different settings and at least seen the one that mentions TTY support, From everything I've been able to glean from various sources, this support is native to the Android OS since at least 2.0 release. However, I have never seen an app that makes use of it. Why is that?

From everything I've been able to learn from Verizon, the TTY support mentioned is only for connecting a droid to a TTY device that must be connected to a telephone in order to the make the call. The TTY merely translates the input it gets from a user via a keyboard or microphone to baudot for transmission.

All in all, it's ridiculous. With a DROID phone, you HAVE a keyboard and microphone. Why can't a user just use the damn phone itself,

I'm deaf, so this is hardly an idle question for me. Who or where should I go to investigate this? Is there a group or forum that might be of help in getting such an app written?

TG Browning>>>
[email protected]

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
tgbrowning

tgbrowning

Reaction score
This is an update on the TTY support on Android phones. I found an app that does pretty much what I've been talking about albeit in a different way. Instead of going through a vco-relay operator, the app applies some of the android OS for voice recognition and throws it on a screen on the phone.

It's a bit buggy, but when you consider what it's doing, marvelous. It is available from Sprint working in conjuncture with a developer called, I think, Captel. Go to the Market and check it. Also, be advised that it requires the Adobe AIR app to to be loaded and working.

Folks, you could do the deaf community a great service by spending some time with this app and seeing if you can figure out what is working, what isn't, and what is almost there. Even more importantly, this should be talked up by the hearing to make it much more well known.

Trying to run this down was damn near impossible since it seems like it's been declared top secret by SOMEBODY :)

I'd like to see a technology thread or sticky dedicated to this sort of thing - assistive technology,

Thanks,

Browning>>>

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums