trouble with DLNA and video on ps3

greeknasty

Reaction score
i have a H264 converted video on my sd card and the droidx2 plays it fine but when i go to view it on my ps3 via DLNA it says "no titiles are available" the music works fine but the videos just wont show up..any idea? should i convert it to a different file? if so what type of file thanks!

densetsu86

Reaction score
Yes convert it. Your ps3 won't read a mkv file. Also chances are that h264 file is also not at the right setting for the ps3 to play it if it was an mp4 file. Best bet is to convert it to xvid avi and if its an anime have it hardsubed. Also just a warning it will clip what ever you try to play as well at the top and bottom. Its not to bad but it is annoying. And no there is no way to stop it if it does clip.
Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
G

greeknasty

Reaction score
Yes convert it. Your ps3 won't read a mkv file. Also chances are that h264 file is also not at the right setting for the ps3 to play it if it was an mp4 file. Best bet is to convert it to xvid avi and if its an anime have it hardsubed. Also just a warning it will clip what ever you try to play as well at the top and bottom. Its not to bad but it is annoying. And no there is no way to stop it if it does clip.

well when i converted with xillisoft it says mpeg4 H264. i know both the x2 and the ps3 wont read mkv thats why i converted to begin with. ill give avi a try

thanks

densetsu86

Reaction score
There is a difference between mpeg4 and .mp4. Mpeg4 is a codec that usually means xvid, divx, and h264(for h264 it can also say mpeg4 avc) now a .mp4 is a file container much like .avi and .mkv.

To play the file correctly on ps3 select xvid and use basic or low profile or how ever it words it for video and choose cfr if it gives you that ability. Choose 128 or 192 for bit rate (maybe called cbr) mp3 for audio. And file. Container avi. Meaning save it as a *.avi. for video there is usually a bitrate calculator to help you get the size that you want. A 30 min anime 175-230mb is best and if its a movie go with 1.5-2gb. Btw cfr means constant frame rate. And chronic means constant bitrate. Your encoding program probably encoded the file wrong. By default most encoders will do either mp4 or mkv with and some do avi but avi and h264 never go to together could cause issues.

densetsu86

Reaction score
Also a DROID x2 can play mkv just download moboplayer from the market its free. And download the right codec pack for the from which you can get from the market as well or just go to their site from the moboplayer app space on the market. I have no problem playing up to 848x480 h264 mkv on my DROID x2 but when it comes to 1280x720 (aka 720p) its a.hit or miss depending on how it was encoded. Moboplayer is one of if not the best video player app available. Plays soft subs of srt, ssa, and assa support for all codecs and most file.containers like mkv.

OP
G

greeknasty

Reaction score
if i buy that hdmi cord...and use that video player you suggested to play a MKV file..would it work on a tv?

densetsu86

Reaction score
Yes it would but there is problems. I don't know how wide spread it was but i will tell you my experience with it and let you decide if its worth to try or not. Im a media guy too, i hook my laptop to my tv and watch all my shows and i was looking for something a little less of a hassle and i had an update for a phone. So i went with the dx2 for the hdmi out and 4.3 screen and tegra. So i put some anime on my phone and bought the hdmi cable and what i got was a dissapointment very blocky image even before i went to the video player. Now i was using a 32" 720p tv which this thing os supposed to dish out a 1080p mirror image but it was seriously horrendous picture quality but i gave it the benefit of the doubt that maybe the video will look good. What i got was a choice between a good video picture quality and clipping or no clipping and a very blocky image. Regular play gave me the good image but clipping and software play gave my no clipping but a very blocky image. Now i don't know if my phones defective or if the hdmi chord was defective but i do know it was not the video players fault as i have a few and i get the same problems if not worse.

I say its worth the try because my brother with his dx hasn't had a problem with his hdmi mirroring.

Overall yes it will work but how good is another question. I.personally say if you have a hdtv then most likely it had a vga input and audio jack and use a laptop and male to male audio cable to transfer the audio from the laptop to tv speakers and just go that route if you have issues but deadset on watching movies/tv shows/anime on your tv with ease. And yes the verizon store will accept the return of the hdmi chord if you have the same issues. Also of your laptop has an hdmi out you could hook it up to your tv that way but it will only be video and i think. I haven't that method with my new laptop as my old one was giving me a clipping as well. If you can't tell im not a fan of clipping and i don't tolerate it. The vga cable method works the best, no clipping and you can freely choose the resolution like any other monitor.

On a side note i personally love watching anime on my dx2. For some reason it just feels gratifying to watch it on my phone with this 4.3 inch screen. And since i have trouble with color recognition my anime looks beautiful to me on this pentile screen.