Traveling to Europe - Is Verizon LYING to Me About My Options?

sleaziep

Reaction score
OK, so I will be in Europe all summer. I know my phone won't "work" for calls, data, etc. But I would like to use it to connect to wifi networks to check email, take pics, possibly even use skype, check fb, etc.

Verizon told me that if I use their "vacation suspension" service, my droid will be rendered unusable, even if I am just connecting via wifi.. it won't even work as a camera according to them. Is this true? I feel that I have read many posts on the forum to the contrary, but they insisted that you guys were wrong. If this is true, can I keep my phone active and still retain wifi connectivity? What is the safest way to ensure that I don't rack up any roaming / international data usage fees?

Also, I would like to forward my number, but doesn't the call have to ping the phone before it gets forwarded? So would this be possible? I thought it wouldn't be, but they are telling me that it would as long as I keep my phone active. I think they are full of it / misinformed. Opinions??

techguru

Reaction score
They are wrong. Droid works fine as a PDA over WiFi. Camera will work. Google Nav even works in the US if you have a WiFi signal wherever you are (unlikely, but it does work).

Alan

OP
S

sleaziep

Reaction score
Even if I suspend my data / phone service?

Reaction score
They are wrong. Droid works fine as a PDA over WiFi. Camera will work. Google Nav even works in the US if you have a WiFi signal wherever you are (unlikely, but it does work).

Alan

I am leaving for London in 4 days and I will be taking my Droid for music. I plan to shut off the mobile network all together while I am there and just use wifi.

Anticitizen

Reaction score
Probably not lying (there's no good reason why they would lie about that), but plain wrong nonetheless. You'll be fine.

OP
S

sleaziep

Reaction score
Oh, there's a good reason alright!! Because my phone "would not work at all" (according to them), they forwarded me to their international phone rental department and tried to sell me on a rental phone and $1.50 per minute service. ;-$

OP
S

sleaziep

Reaction score
So even if I suspend my service, it should still work, correct?? or do I have to leave service enabled? Just worried they have some way to temporarily brick my phone if I suspend service.

Reaction score
So even if I suspend my service, it should still work, correct?? or do I have to leave service enabled? Just worried they have some way to temporarily brick my phone if I suspend service.

Just turn off your mobile network access through the phone's network options.

OP
S

sleaziep

Reaction score
Ya, but I would rather not pay for two months of service that i am not going to use if possible. BTW THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PROMPT ATTENTION!!! You Rule!!

Reaction score
Ya, but I would rather not pay for two months of service that i am not going to use if possible. BTW THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PROMPT ATTENTION!!! You Rule!!

Ah. I did not see that you are going to be gone for 2 months. I completely understand why you want to suspend your account now. Enjoy your trip!

trumpet444

Reaction score
Surely they are capable of suspending your account/service without rendering your phone "useless"

OP
S

sleaziep

Reaction score
Thanks!! I will! It pays to be the spouse of a private school Art Professor ;-) I get to ride her bootstraps all over Europe for the summer (I'm spoiled).

Soo.. A few questions that are still outstanding - If you can help me out I will put together a guide for the forum once I get over there and figure out all the deets. It seems that many people have these same questions:dancedroid

1) Do you think the wifi will still work even if I suspend my data / phone plan
2) Will skype work on wifi alone
3) What about call forwarding? Is there a way to forward my calls to my skype account with dedicated phone number if my phone is not pingable?

MUCH LOVE to the Droid Forums!!

jcolt

Reaction score
Thanks!! I will! It pays to be the spouse of a private school Art Professor ;-) I get to ride her bootstraps all over Europe for the summer (I'm spoiled).

Soo.. A few questions that are still outstanding - If you can help me out I will put together a guide for the forum once I get over there and figure out all the deets. It seems that many people have these same questions:dancedroid

1) Do you think the wifi will still work even if I suspend my data / phone plan
2) Will skype work on wifi alone
3) What about call forwarding? Is there a way to forward my calls to my skype account with dedicated phone number if my phone is not pingable?

MUCH LOVE to the Droid Forums!!

Hopefully this helps:

1) Yes, wifi will still work without a data / phone plan. All your other app functions will work fine (music camera, etc). The ones that require internet access will work when you have wifi

2) Yes skype should work no problem on wifi

3) Not sure about skype call forwarding as I dont use it, but maybe this helps. If you dial *72 and then the phone number you want to forward to then send the call will briefly connect and then the call will end (ie *7218005551212). You are now forwarding all calls to that number. When you want to stop call forwarding, just dial *73 send, again the phone will briefly connect and then the call will end. Call forwarding is now turned off and will no longer forward. I use this all the time as I have a work AT&T BB and when I go abroad I forward my verizon number to my AT&T BB and I can get my calls in Europe. This should work with skype as well, however, if you plan to suspend your plan that might impact your ability to call forward. I do not suspend my service.

Hope this helps, enjoy Europe