Transparent apps!!

irish22022

Reaction score
Cool. Liitle confused about what 7zip is. I'm on a mac. I looked it up, seemed like it was more of a windows thing, so I figured unzipping would work fine.

Put the apks in the app folder, after system. Rezipped, renamed update rather then CWupdate.

No luck. I have to assume it's the rezipping process not being done with 7zip. I just have never used 7zip, downloaded a version for what seems to be a mac, and there's no application in the package. Very confused.

Or you can do it this way, the way that works .

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

I have 6 or so apks in a folder called "app". I put that into a folder called "system". Zipped it up and renamed the .zip "update".

When I go into recovery, do I just click the "update.zip" option from the initial screen or do I look for it in the directory? I've tried both and it doesn't seem to work (unless it's normal for it to say installing update... and have the progress bar stand completely still. Maybe i'm just being impatient?

This is what you need, the update zip is attached, it is a blank ClockWork update. Use 7zip and navigate to the "/system/app" folder within this zip. Put all your apk's in there. Reboot into recovery and apply update. Hope this helps :)

BTW the transparent calculator app has the "vibrate on keypress" turned on by default even if I turn it off in the settings, is it just me?

Cytochrome

Reaction score
7zip is just a compression application like winzip or winrar, I didn't know you were on a mac, but what you described should have worked.

Okay, just gonna ask you a few question to get some background. You are using ClockWork recovery to reboot and apply the update? Correct?

Also, if you list what apps you are trying to install, I can create the update.zip with those same apps and test it on my phone and then upload it here for you.

Last edited:

irish22022

Reaction score
Okay here's some info (thank you so much for being so helpful):

desired apps:

calculator
facebook
google voice
google quick search box
contacts
camera
email
music
vending
gmail

Process:

Renamed the CWupdate folder to update after zipping. All apps are under system/apps, placed on sd card. Booted into Clockword Recovery (same as if I was going to flash a new rom or theme or whatever), scrolled down one option to "install from update.zip".

I see this:

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...

Status bar is frozen, not moving at all. Wait for 15 minutes, nothing at all happens. Battery pull. And that's that.

Droidx, gummy jar 2.5 frost theme, mac osx.

7zip is just a compression application like winzip or winrar, I didn't know you were on a mac, but what you described should have worked.

Okay, just gonna ask you a few question to get some background. You are using ClockWork recovery to reboot and apply the update? Correct?

Also, if you list what apps you are trying to install, I can create the update.zip with those same apps and test it on my phone and then upload it here for you.

Cytochrome

Reaction score
Okay I have tested this on my phone and I was able to bundle all the aps in one package except the vending.apk which has to be installed by itself. Everything seems to be working. Did a a backup first just to be safe!

1. Reboot into ClockWork recovery
2. Make a backup, better safe than sorry!
3. Apply the CW_update.zip update.
4. Apply the vending.zip update.
5. Reboot

apps within in the CW_update.zip:
calculator
facebook
google voice
google quick search box
contacts
camera
email
music
gmail

apps within in the vending.zip:
vending

Hope this helps :) Enjoy!!

Disclaimer:
I take no responsibility for what this may or may not do to your phone!

Last edited:
OP
mikeyinid

mikeyinid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Okay I have tested this on my phone and I was able to bundle all the aps in one package except the vending.apk which has to be installed by itself. Everything seems to be working. Did a a backup first just to be safe!

5. Reboot

Disclaimer:

Thanks for helping :)

irish22022

Reaction score
EPIC. transparent apks with gummyjar -> Frost 2.5 = OUTRAGEOUS

Thanks so much. The music apk didn't work though, it's not transparent.

Everything else looks awesome. Thanks so much for your help. I don't want to nitpick about the one apk, but if you have any idea and it's quick and easy for you, great - if not, please don't worry about it.

Thanks again, you're very helpful.

5. Reboot

apps within in the CW_update.zip:
calculator
facebook
google voice
google quick search box
contacts
camera
email
music
gmail

apps within in the vending.zip:
vending

Disclaimer:

Cytochrome

Reaction score
You are very welcome, I am glad it work out for you and that you like it. :biggrin: The music app is not completely transparent for me either, however, you will notice that the music widget is transparent, try it out!

Anyone else have any input on the music.apk transparency?

irish22022

Reaction score
yeah the widget is rad.

The actual app is completely black for me. Those screenshots on the other page show it being totally transparent.

Weird. I really like this music player a lot though. I do wish it had a swipe gesture for return to last screen, though.

I'm digging how light my phone feels (this was my first root).

Last edited:

Trick311

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I followed your instructions and even used your zip, however I seem to have lost my contacts and camera. The contacts.apk and camera.apk seemed to not install, please any help would be appreciated

I also seem to have lost the market

Running Liberty 1.5 Droid X

Last edited: