Transferring pics/video/music from.computer to phone

Erikbal

Reaction score
Im trying to transfer my pics from my sd card from my old phone onto this phone. I dragged and dropped them and all the music from my old phone onto this phone then once done nothing was on this phone. WHAT folders do I transfer the pics to? I find them on this phone in 2 different folders, some in one some the the other. Also where do I transfer the music to and what do I use to play it? I checked my available space on the phone and card and it didn't change so Im sure they're not on here. Details would help please! Thanks guys!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
You can put them in any folder that you want. The stock camera puts the photos you take in sdcard/dcim/Camera but I copied my old photos to myname/pics/DroidCamera

Once you copy new media over, it can take some time before Android's media scanner recognizes it (so the Gallery will display it, for example). To run the scanner ASAP, use an app like "Rescan Media" by Aditya Talpade. Free in the market; requires no privileges to run! Nice app.

REMilk

Reaction score
Please make sure you allow sufficient time for the data to transfer from the PC to the Droid 3!

Since, you have a Droid 3, you have two possible choices as to where you store pics, music, videos, etc. These are
1. Internal Phone Storage aka "media area" (some apps call this SD Card and some file managers call this 'sdcard')
2. External SD Card; optional user-installed micro-SD card (some apps do not recognize this and some file managers show this as 'sdcard-ext')

The Gallery app and 'Music' app can read for both the Internal Phone Storage and the External SD Card. So far every app I use for pics, videos, and music can locate and read the data from both locations.

Since my External SD Card on the Droid 3 was moved from my OG Droid, I continue to use the same file structure as was on my OG Droid - Music is in 'My Music", pics in "My Pictures", and Videos in My videos.

I move all pics and videos from internal phone storage to the External SD Card.

Pictures and videos taken with the camera are found in the internal phone storage folder DCIM.

Pictures and videos sent via text messaging the internal phone storage folder Messaging.

If you are having problems transferring files from the PC to your phone, I suggest you try the following;

1. Plug your USB data/charging cable in to the PC, then plug it into your Droid 3, Pull down the Notification/Status and select the USB Connection. Make sure the 'USB Mass Storage" is selected.

Now you should be able to drag and drop from the PC to either the Internal Phone Storage (shows as device MOT) or the External SD Card (shows as device Removable Storage).

2. Make sure you are using the correct data/charging cable for the Droid 3. Some third-party cables and cables for other phones do not work. I know that the USB data/charging cable for the LG ENV3 does not work for data with the Droid 3. I also had a couple of third-party cables that did not work. (I tossed all my cables that do not work with the Droid 3).

Good Luck,
Bob