transfering photos from SD card to phone storage

amberc922

Reaction score
Ok I don't know if this sounds weird or not but I'm going to ask it becasue my mother is driving me crazy wanting her pics on her new Incredible. She has a 1GB SD card from her old phone and she wants to use the 2GB that came with her new phone. She has about 300 and some pics on her original card. The guy that sold us the phone told her that you can transfer those pics to the phone storage seeing how it is much larger than what is on the card. Then place the new card in and copy them back to that card. Problem is for the life of me and my dad we can't figure it out. I downloaded a file manager which said you could copy and things like that with an SD card. Can someone please help explain how to do this in simple English not tech speak lol. I know it should be possible but after messing with the damn thing for hours and getting no where it gets frustrating.

Thank you
Amber

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Probably the easiest thing to do would be to copy the files to a computer. Either use the phone and mount the SD card with USB Mass storage or use a card reader. If you don't have access to a computer you'll need to do it all in-phone and that's not something I've ever run across before. If the former sounds do-able I can try to explain it a bit better if needed. :)

OP
A

amberc922

Reaction score
That is what we were trying to get away from is the computer. It seems like it should be logically easy to do the transfer to the phone memory and then back to the new card. To me I don't understand why you can't selcet the pic and say copy or save to and do it that way. Then put the new card in and repeat the steps. But I guess logic wasn't in the design of that phone. lol

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have searched high and low on this phone for a way to do what you want. I am not seeing it. I would call VZW if you really need to stay away from the PC route. Though with the pc it would be alot faster. To transfer a gig of pics to internal then back to sd will take some time. I will keep looking for the answer you are looking for.

Edit: May I ask why you are trying to stay away from the PC? If you think its difficult it really is not. Its very easy in fact.

OP
A

amberc922

Reaction score
Thanks guys for trying to figure it out. The computer they have doesn't have the SD slot but I have a laptop that has one on the front so I will just do that. I just figured if you could do it on the phone then it would be nicer than taking the card out puting it on the computer then back on the card. Guess not. Oh well thanks for your help.
Amber

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Happy to help. You could insert the card, mount the phone to the PC, and transfer that way, shut the phone down, insert the new card, and transfer. Or make them buy a card reader. They're like $5 delivered off eBay. :D

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks guys for trying to figure it out. The computer they have doesn't have the SD slot but I have a laptop that has one on the front so I will just do that. I just figured if you could do it on the phone then it would be nicer than taking the card out puting it on the computer then back on the card. Guess not. Oh well thanks for your help.
Amber

If you plug the phone into the pc you can mount it as a disk drive. From there you can transfer the pics off the sd and on to your pc. Then unmount the card and insert your new one and transfer them back. No need for a reader as the phone is one.