Trading in my Z Flip 3

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
HI folks,
Yes I'm still here and lurking. Just wanted to get your opinions. My Flip 3's screen protector is lifting at the fold. No one around here has the machine to install another one. Yes, Samsung has a special machine to do this. So I'm left with two choices.

1) Send my phone in to have the protector replaced which means not having a phone for a week or buying the cheapest phone ($150) Xfinity has to use as a spare. Don't want to buy a used one.

2) Drive 2 hours to North Jersey to get the phone fixed at the closest actual Samsung service center.

I chose the drive. Even at the current price of gas it's cheaper to drive up there and do a walk in fix. I already spoke to them and they will do it on the spot.

The opinion I was asking about is what phone do I get next. It's free to fix because of the warranty but I'm not doing this again. Xfinity will let me trade it in on a new phone and pay off the balance so that's what I'm going to do.

The two phones I'm looking at, that Xfinity offers, are the S22+ and the Pixel 6 Pro. I've watched many videos on both and I know they are both good phones. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. Those are the two that will suit my needs the best. I know Samsung will update it longer but I don't keep phones for more than 2 or 3 years so that doesn't really make a difference.

I'm used to Samsung and I don't mind One UI but they do have a bit of bloat. I've never used a Pixel before but some Motorola's I've had in the past were pretty close to vanilla Android and I liked them.

One other option is to wait a few months and see what the Pixel 7 brings to the table but I'm really impatient and I'm not sure I want to wait. I have a feeling since the 6 was such a major change the 7 will be some smaller upgrades.

My Flip 3 is plenty fast for me so the 22+ and the 6 Pro will be plenty of phone for me.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:
R

RETG

Personally, my advice would be to wait for the Pixel 7 pro and hopefully, they will fix the biggest problem with the Pixel 6 Pro; the modem. The FPS was a big problem for many in the beginning but it appears it has been fixed or at least it is a lot better after a few updates. However, not sure about the modem.

I have read on a few android sites that the Pixel 7 will use a better tuned/designed Exynos modem to work with the Exynos Tensor 2 chip. I would sure hope that is true considering the complaints they had about cell service from the first designed Tensor chip/modem combination.

I have no personal experience with the 6-series modem, but was warned about it by two different Verizon stores that it was a big problem and they had a lot of returns due to the lack of signal in areas older phones would work but the Pixel 6 would not work. And no complaints about the S21 series. When I did the checking at the stores, the S22s had just been released.

As for bloat; yes the S22 came with more than my Pixel 4XL; however, it only took about 15 minutes for me to delete (such as FB, Spotify, etc.) or disable and they no longer cause a problem with either popping up any suggestions or draining the battery. Not a big deal. Especially, considering jumping from the Pixel 4XL to the S22 was a large learning experience with the Pixel UI vs, Samsung's One UI.

However, I like the One UI better because it gives me a lot more control over Android 12. Android 12 had updates I hated, but was learning to live with on the Pixel 4XL. The main page clock had to remain in the upper left corner, I hated. I hated that someone designed it that way assuming all would love that feature. Samsung allows me to place a clock anywhere I want.

Also those large oblong quick menu Icons I also hated and was glad to see the old fashioned small icons on the quick menu.

Small items to most, and I could have lived with them if I had received a Pixel 6 pro, but my preference sure goes to One UI. And now that I am used to One UI, I have grown to like it.

Many other reasons I jumped from the 4XL to the S22U and all were due to Google service and manufacture of the pixel 6 series vs. the Samsung S-series phones. But I'm not going to bore everyone and I need to put on some more coffee for some deputies that should be here in a few minutes.

So that is my opinion and that is ALL it is.

ggrant3876

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S23 Ultra
I haven't had any issues with my Pixel 6 Pro 512 GB unlocked version. Been using it for a daily driver since it came out. Haven't had any of the issues that have been reported on XDA, my personal opinion is that those having issues transferred data from their old phone to the new one instead of starting from scratch. Personally when I get a new phone I always set it up from scratch. I also have the Note 20 Ultra and the screen on the Samsung is better than the Pixel in my opinion. That being said I am seriously considering trading in the Note 20 for the S22 Ultra. I actually prefer the OS on the Pixel, so much less bloat involved and much easier to use IMHO.

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Thanks for the input. My phone is fixed and looks great. Of course when I was in the parking lot I was hit from behind by a girl not paying attention. That's how my day went. Her car, or should I say her mom's car Honda CRV got the worst of it. My truck 2019 Ram has a dent in the bumper. Her insurance will take care of that. Police found her at fault, obviously. I also have a dash cam in case they try the "I backed into her" routine. And I let them know I have one.

Again thanks for the input.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hey a little bit late here to the party but happy you got your phone fixed and glad you got minimal damage on the bumper I personally have the pixel 6 Pro and the s22 ultra and I love both phones although I do lean a little bit more to the Samsung phone mainly because of the screen brightness and I can customize it more than my pixel but then again I do love both phones and the pixel I've had no issues with it whatsoever if you're going to go Samsung I would find a good deal and get the s22 ultra otherwise maybe wait for the seven might not be a bad idea

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Today when I was at the Samsung store I took a good look at the plus and ultra. The screens looked the same to me with the demo program they were running. I opened the same apps and put them side by side. They both looked great but the ultra was a little too big for my taste. The plus is about the same size as my Flip 3. I'm familiar with One UI so the next step is to get some hands on time with the 6 pro. If I want to customize the 6 pro I'll just use Nova. I haven't used it on my Flip 3 because One UI has enough customization to keep me happy. It's not as good as Nova but it's pretty good.

The one thing I always notice in the videos of the 6 pro is they sometimes have to touch the fingerprint sensor a couple of times too get it to work. I know that's been a concern and Google has improved it but I have to admit the sensor on my Flip 3 works the first time every time without fail. I know that's the difference between the two types of sensors. It's a small detail but that's my primary means of unlocking my phone when I need to and it's my security measure with a number of my apps.

Have you guys had issues with the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Today when I was at the Samsung store I took a good look at the plus and ultra. The screens looked the same to me with the demo program they were running. I opened the same apps and put them side by side. They both looked great but the ultra was a little too big for my taste. The plus is about the same size as my Flip 3. I'm familiar with One UI so the next step is to get some hands on time with the 6 pro. If I want to customize the 6 pro I'll just use Nova. I haven't used it on my Flip 3 because One UI has enough customization to keep me happy. It's not as good as Nova but it's pretty good.

The one thing I always notice in the videos of the 6 pro is they sometimes have to touch the fingerprint sensor a couple of times too get it to work. I know that's been a concern and Google has improved it but I have to admit the sensor on my Flip 3 works the first time every time without fail. I know that's the difference between the two types of sensors. It's a small detail but that's my primary means of unlocking my phone when I need to and it's my security measure with a number of my apps.

Have you guys had issues with the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel?
I'm one of the few people I think that has not complained from the beginning with the fingerprint sensor it seems to always open for me with no issues it's slightly slower than my ultra but not very noticeable to me..

I think the s22 Plus size wise is comfortable I do agree and I think you won't go wrong with the phone compared to the ultra so I can see that point of view but definitely check out the pixel 6 as well maybe you can get some Hands-On with it

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

R

RETG

Those who say a clean install is needed, I would agree. I only do clean installs. However, I have talked to a few who did clean installs and still had problems with signals.

When people say there were no problems with the Pixel 6-series, I have to ask, if not problems were discovered, why has google sent out a few dozen fixes to cure problems. can't fix a problem unless it is identified. Therefore, by reason there were problems.

As for modems, those verizon stores in two different states made the case to not get a Pixel 6. Remain with a known modem that has been used in the USA market.

If I lived in or near a large urban area, there most likely would never be a signal problem (however, I have read some do have signal problems in large urban areas). However, I live in a fringe area. To the west there are two towers I can connect to but they are a pretty good drive. To the west, the nearest tower I can hazard to guess is on the other side of a 13K foot mountain called Grand Teton. Not a great location for me to obtain a signal.:D

I would have liked a Pixel, I ordered twice when they were first released and google both times screwed up the orders, and then I started reading about it and guess I was lucky they screwed up the orders.

Would I go back to a Pixel if for example the 7 turned out to be a great phone? Not sure. Even though I like the S22U I have and have no complaints, I'm more interested in the upcoming S23U.

If I was going totally on looks, the white/grey Pixel 6 Pro is still in my opinion one of the best looking phones ever released. And the rumors of the 7 having a brushed aluminum "camera module visor" and the renders I've seen makes the black 7 even better looking (and I have never said a black phone is great looking).

But, my advice (which is nothing more than my opinion) remains the same. I'd wait for the 7 series to be released. And go from there.

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Well, I ended up getting an S22+. I was really leaning towards pixel but there are a few things that I really like about One UI in spite of the extra bloat you get. Between the better brightness and the edge panels along with a few other things the S22+ is a little nicer phone and fits my needs a little better than the Pixel. I might download Nova to switch things up but I'm happy with it.

Edit:

Truth be told, if you have a 21+ you do not need to upgrade to this phone. I just compared this phone with my wife's 21+ by launching apps and both phones were the same speed. They are the same size and if you look on Phonescoop and compare both phones there isn't much difference between the two. This is a really good phone but between this, the Pixel 6 pro, 21+, and my Flip 3 there really isn't much difference in speed or real world performance.

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Well, I ended up getting an S22+. I was really leaning towards pixel but there are a few things that I really like about One UI in spite of the extra bloat you get. Between the better brightness and the edge panels along with a few other things the S22+ is a little nicer phone and fits my needs a little better than the Pixel. I might download Nova to switch things up but I'm happy with it.
Congrats on your new phone. Enjoy it my friend

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

R

RETG

Edit:

Truth be told, if you have a 21+ you do not need to upgrade to this phone. I just compared this phone with my wife's 21+ by launching apps and both phones were the same speed. They are the same size and if you look on Phonescoop and compare both phones there isn't much difference between the two. This is a really good phone but between this, the Pixel 6 pro, 21+, and my Flip 3 there really isn't much difference in speed or real world performance.
I would agree, looking at specs and reading too many reviews any high end phone appears to be the same in speed and performance for the greater majority of the people. when all things are equal. Have also noted quite a few comments about the similarities (other than looks) between the 21 vs. the 22 series phones. I came close to getting a 21U, but the price was almost identical between a 21U and 22U.
Enjoy.

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Does S22+ better than flip 3? i worried about screen of filp 3
Like RETG said, all the recent flag ships are very similar to each other in terms of real world use. Unless you're into heavy gaming you're not going to see much difference, some but not much.

I really liked my Flip 3. The only complaint was the screen. Even the battery wasn't that bad. It got me through most average days. Some screens will have issues and some won't. My phone was only 9 months old. I'm going to avoid folding phones for a while until the screen tech catches up to the rest of the phone.

My favorite thing about the 22+ is the outdoor brightness. It's awesome.