Touchscreen less sensitive when charging

Ecsa0014

Reaction score
I'm absolutely loving my new Droid X but I've noticed that the touchscreen sensitivity goes wayyy down when I have it connected to USB or the charger. A friend of mine originally noticed this while I was letting him play with the phone. He kept complaining that he had to hit the screen several times before his presses would register and finally gave up in frustration. I thought he was doing something wrong because I had no issues with the touchscreen previously. Sure enough when I tried messing with it after he handed it back, It took 2 or 3 tries before my presses would work. I noticed this on another instance while charging at home. Has anyone else had this issue?

dbacker8

Reaction score
Oh, good! I thought I was going nuts -- YES, I've seen the same behavior on mine.

isdroid

Reaction score
Spot On! I have the exact same problem. Its surprising Moto didn't catch/fix this in their quality checks. Its a very basic problem.

kkwan77

Reaction score
Agreed; I've also noticed that the touchscreen will get unresponsive at times and will have a considerable delay.

When typing this often times brings up the wrong characters or makes it impossible to txt or navigate through the phone entirely.

isdroid

Reaction score
how are you charging your phone? Mine happened when charging using a after-market wall charger which other forums suggest can be the reason for this problem.

Are you using a motorola charger?

kkwan77

Reaction score
I've noticed your problem and the one aforementioned is while not being charged.

guardianali

Reaction score
This happens on my Droid1 when I use a charger not specific to it (ie using a different voltage or current). Im assuming your using the default charger that came with it? if not that may be the issue. When i use a charger specific to the Droid1 (the one that came with it) it is the same either way..when i use a spare from something else..the touch screen is wonky.

isdroid

Reaction score
This happens on my Droid1 when I use a charger not specific to it (ie using a different voltage or current). Im assuming your using the default charger that came with it? if not that may be the issue. When i use a charger specific to the Droid1 (the one that came with it) it is the same either way..when i use a spare from something else..the touch screen is wonky.

yep. thats what I thought. Going to return the after market charger if the guy takes it back and getting a verizon one. sucks have to spend an extra 10$ now!

screaminscott

Reaction score
Happens with Verizon charger

This happens with the verison charger I bought. I suspect it's just a generic charger with the Verizon name on it, nothing specifically designed for the Droid.

Just be aware that you chould buy a Motorola charger SPECIFICALLY for the Droid X. Not one that Verizon is selling as an 'extra' charger for the Droid X.

OP
E

Ecsa0014

Reaction score
This happens with the verison charger I bought. I suspect it's just a generic charger with the Verizon name on it, nothing specifically designed for the Droid.

Just be aware that you chould buy a Motorola charger SPECIFICALLY for the Droid X. Not one that Verizon is selling as an 'extra' charger for the Droid X.

Yeah, Those Verizon chargers are crap. I purchased one for $30 when I first got my X and realized very quickly these weren't intended for this phone. Charging would take forever using the Verizon charger and my phone would die if using it while attached to that charger.
An OEM Motorola can be picked up for around $6 from Amazon and will perform much, much, much better. My phone now charges within 30-45 minutes even under heavy use with the Motorola charger.

9wire

Reaction score
X2. Seems worse when the phone is close to dead, the screen will be completely unresponsive. I looked and it is an aftermarket charger.

TheGoodKid

Reaction score
I have the same issue when using my old BlackBerry charger on my DX. I just tend to not play with my phone when it's charging on that charger because I get so frustrated with the unresponsiveness of the screen. Other than that, it charges the phone just fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

zero7404

Reaction score
this has to do with the charger type used. noticed this with different types of cables as well. not all usb cables are equal, as well as chargers.

i noticed this with the d2g as well. best bet is to plug into a pc that's got motorola drivers installed, as well as use the cable that came with the phone. when using an outlet, some chargers do well, others don't. i have an old rocketfish car charger that i used for my old blackberry, works fine with my droids (coincidence).

TiagoM

Reaction score
Touchscreen less sensitive - fluorescent lamp in the same circuitry

I noticed the same problem with my Galaxy S2 and original wall charger today for the first time, after 2 months using it.
The only difference was that in the same place there was a fluorescent lamp installed. Once I turned the lamp off, the problem goes away (touchscreen starts to work fine again). Turn the lamp on, problem comes back. So, in this case, I´m sure the lamp is causing some interference in the touchscreen through the charger.
Hope this helps.