Touch screen behaves erratically in very cold weather

New Daddy

Reaction score
I took my Droid 4 out on a very cold morning the other day, and its touch screen behaved very erratically. While I was not laying a finger on the screen, the screen was panning up and down, zooming in and out, and clicking things on the screen.

It was definitely due to the cold air, because I have not seen it behave like the before or after. It did behave like that again later that day out in the cold air again.

Is this a known problem with Droid 4? Any fix for this?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Took my D1 skiing once. Same situation. Wasn't meant for that type of extreme. I don't know that there is a "fix."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It can also be sudden drop in temperature affecting humidity. A damp screen is a useless and erratic screen. A phone in a warm humid pocket exposed to sudden cold can cause a "dew" to form on the screen.
Try wiping the screen with a cloth made of something absorbent, like a cotton shirt or something.
You can mimic the same behaviour, I've done this by accident, by using the screen right after an automobile oil change with dirty fingers.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

schatzy62

Reaction score
Had the same issue when i took mine out of my pocket yesterday morning when it was -4 degrees fahrenheit. Wiped the screen on my t-shirt and the problem went away.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I've noticed weird behavior like that in the cold as well.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.