To mods and admins.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
In reference to this thread I wanted to throw out some feedback.

I don't want to start anything negative here and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but think it would be a good practice for mods or admins to PM members whenever they close, edit, or delete other people's threads or posts. This couple of minutes on the mod's part would avoid one or more things:

1) A member getting aggravated because their good intended post/thread was altered for an unknown reason;
2) In the case referenced above, avoid yet another thread of "WTF???" types because the OP is in the dark;
3) I've been noticing closed (and apparently deleted) threads to avoid "clutter" or too many threads of the same topic, but as the above thread shows, it's really not working (being closed will eventually allow it to fade away but while it's open...
wtf3.gif
) because the OP then is inclined to start yet another thread asking why and inevitably mentioning the original topic within.

I just wanted to throw out a bit of constructive criticism and hope you take it that way. I had one of my threads closed and and it pissed me off a bit, especially as a newer member. I didn't start a rant thread but rather PM'd the mod who did it. Once he explained why, I was good. It made sense.

In summary, I think you can avoid much of what you're trying to avoid with a simple quick PM to the appropriate members about their post or thread closures/deletions.

Jim

Last edited:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
see, i agree and disagree with you..

i agree that some explanation might be a good idea, and the reasons being that (using this example) maybe X user didn't know there was another Y thread, so to them it just comes up missing..

i disagree also for this reason... we get a LOT of spam and a LOT more of the duplicate (triplicate, whatever) threads that we have to deal with. i would be willing to bet you never see any trace of 90% of the stuff we do. so on that front, this would be a logistical nightmare. secondly, most of us do this "cleaning" stuff from our droids. and while the droid IS good at navigating the web, it grows tiresome to add one more thing.

i don't think it is too much to assume that if your thread gets deleted (and you search for it and then see many other threads just like your own), it was for a good reason. we just simply see so much of it, there are just not enough hours in the day to deal with one more thing attached to all the threads we edit/delete/whatever.

but i agree that it can be frustrating on the part of the OP.. i'll try and make a point of giving some explanation if possible, but no promises.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
you guys should have a sticky thread about thread deletion rules and regulations with possible reason for why it was deleted on every sub forums. so when you do delete and someone question it point them back to the sticky, no? that way you dont have to give a reason every time someone ask. just a thought

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
We have been getting slammed with duplicate threads and our FIRST priority is keeping the forums clean and clutter free for our members.

So speed is of essense. It's not like one or two of these threads are popping up every hour. It's 1 or 2 a minute. You don't even want to see what my monitor looks like with all the duplicate threads : )

So it's not fair for the majority of users who are helping or looking for help to have to wade through all the duplicate threads and be inconvenienced.

Unfortunately sacrificing a pm for speed is a by-product of the huge amount of activity that we are trying to control.

Our usual protocol is to send the OP a pm to explain why the thread was shut down but when the forums are on fire we have to stay on TOP of the situation and any kind of slowdown results in an even bigger mess.

You are only seeing a very small percentage of what is actually going on : )

Thanks Jim.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you guys should have a sticky thread about thread deletion rules and regulations with possible reason for why it was deleted on every sub forums. so when you do delete and someone question it point them back to the sticky, no? that way you dont have to give a reason every time someone ask. just a thought
All this falls under the "Use the Search function before posting" guideline.
There wouldn't be multiple threads of the same topic if people followed this... another sticky giving another guideline (that people will ignore or not even look at) isn't the answer. It's just more clutter.

2.1 threads have gotten out of hand... the mods are only trying to keep information easily accessible to everyone. After all... the forum isn't only for 2.1 threads... there's still lots of other information here that needs to be clear to find :)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In reference to this thread I wanted to throw out some feedback.

I don't want to start anything negative here and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but think it would be a good practice for mods or admins to PM members whenever they close, edit, or delete other people's threads or posts. This couple of minutes on the mod's part would avoid one or more things:

1) A member getting aggravated because their good intended post/thread was altered for an unknown reason;
2) In the case referenced above, avoid yet another thread of "WTF???" types because the OP is in the dark;
3) I've been noticing closed (and apparently deleted) threads to avoid "clutter" or too many threads of the same topic, but as the above thread shows, it's really not working (being closed will eventually allow it to fade away but while it's open...
wtf3.gif
) because the OP then is inclined to start yet another thread asking why and inevitably mentioning the original topic within.

I just wanted to throw out a bit of constructive criticism and hope you take it that way. I had one of my threads closed and and it pissed me off a bit, especially as a newer member. I didn't start a rant thread but rather PM'd the mod who did it. Once he explained why, I was good. It made sense.

In summary, I think you can avoid much of what you're trying to avoid with a simple quick PM to the appropriate members about their post or thread closures/deletions.

Jim

As stated by the other mods, some of the deletion is just to clean house, and i can understand how that could be frustrating as a new member and having a thread deleted without explanation. I know as a mod, usually when i close a thread i state the reason why with a closed sign at the end of it, and sometimes i will get a PM afterwards asking for more clarification, but rarely. The only threads I will delete are ones users asked me to or ones clearly spam threads. I will however delete posts if the total scheme of the thread is getting way off topic, and usually it's indicated so in my deleted message. I think PM'ing would just add an extra step, but i think in my case i usually try to explain it within the post. (Sometimes i do a very bad job of explaining though)

Most of the closed threads lately have been about 2.1, just because they are popping up like wild fire. There are however a few here and there that will be closed just because there have been many posts in the past about them. (like about batteries) Some I will close just to stop the spread of misinformation, and usually that's a stated reason though.

Just remember though, there are only a couple of us, and up to 30000 of you guys. Sometimes we are just in a hurry or something, and sometimes things are very fast paced. So I would also like to ask of you a little patience with us. We are all still human, and if something happens, you can ALWAYS PM me and i will get back with you, and try to resolve what's going on. Sometimes things are closed in error, it happens.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
This issue is not anything new to this forum, or any other out there for any subject.

I understand that non-savvy computer users will always be around, and it is our duty to educate them on proper BB etiquette, such as searching for a topic before openly posting yet another thread on something openly discussed.

To those however I point out that it only takes a minute to read the sticky posts placed by any well thought out group of board admins, and common sense kinda has to take presidence at some point. Look before you post, etc.

Too many times it is something based upon the "I'm sorry after the fact, I didn't know, no one ever told me, etc."

In general forum rules are ALWAYS posted at top for all to see.

I believe the admins here to an admirable job of parsing the threads, posts, etc. and getting rid of clutter, duplicates, and unwanted stuff. I hope to join that select group down the line here, and I've been in places where it is never caught up.

So, unfortunately, it is the 20% rule, and all of us have to accept that it may not appear clear at first why something is pulled. I do know that observing here that our group of admins and mods do, if a honest mistake is made, apologize and rectify the situation accordingly.

That's it, off my box ...

Oh yes ... Hey, did the 2.1 hit yet? We should have a thread for that ... :icon_ devil:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This issue is not anything new to this forum, or any other out there for any subject.

I understand that non-savvy computer users will always be around, and it is our duty to educate them on proper BB etiquette, such as searching for a topic before openly posting yet another thread on something openly discussed.

To those however I point out that it only takes a minute to read the sticky posts placed by any well thought out group of board admins, and common sense kinda has to take presidence at some point. Look before you post, etc.

Too many times it is something based upon the "I'm sorry after the fact, I didn't know, no one ever told me, etc."

In general forum rules are ALWAYS posted at top for all to see.

I believe the admins here to an admirable job of parsing the threads, posts, etc. and getting rid of clutter, duplicates, and unwanted stuff. I hope to join that select group down the line here, and I've been in places where it is never caught up.

So, unfortunately, it is the 20% rule, and all of us have to accept that it may not appear clear at first why something is pulled. I do know that observing here that our group of admins and mods do, if a honest mistake is made, apologize and rectify the situation accordingly.

That's it, off my box ...

Oh yes ... Hey, did the 2.1 hit yet? We should have a thread for that ... :icon_ devil:

You my friend are too funny :icon_ devil:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
RW-1.... how did we end up in here? :icon_ devil: We weren't invited. LOL

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have been getting slammed with duplicate threads and our FIRST priority is keeping the forums clean and clutter free for our members.

So speed is of essense. It's not like one or two of these threads are popping up every hour. It's 1 or 2 a minute. You don't even want to see what my monitor looks like with all the duplicate threads : )

So it's not fair for the majority of users who are helping or looking for help to have to wade through all the duplicate threads and be inconvenienced.

Unfortunately sacrificing a pm for speed is a by-product of the huge amount of activity that we are trying to control.

Our usual protocol is to send the OP a pm to explain why the thread was shut down but when the forums are on fire we have to stay on TOP of the situation and any kind of slowdown results in an even bigger mess.

You are only seeing a very small percentage of what is actually going on : )

Thanks Jim.

As stated by the other mods, some of the deletion is just to clean house, and i can understand how that could be frustrating as a new member and having a thread deleted without explanation. I know as a mod, usually when i close a thread i state the reason why with a closed sign at the end of it, and sometimes i will get a PM afterwards asking for more clarification, but rarely. The only threads I will delete are ones users asked me to or ones clearly spam threads. I will however delete posts if the total scheme of the thread is getting way off topic, and usually it's indicated so in my deleted message. I think PM'ing would just add an extra step, but i think in my case i usually try to explain it within the post. (Sometimes i do a very bad job of explaining though)

Most of the closed threads lately have been about 2.1, just because they are popping up like wild fire. There are however a few here and there that will be closed just because there have been many posts in the past about them. (like about batteries) Some I will close just to stop the spread of misinformation, and usually that's a stated reason though.

Just remember though, there are only a couple of us, and up to 30000 of you guys. Sometimes we are just in a hurry or something, and sometimes things are very fast paced. So I would also like to ask of you a little patience with us. We are all still human, and if something happens, you can ALWAYS PM me and i will get back with you, and try to resolve what's going on. Sometimes things are closed in error, it happens.
I appreciate all the mod responses and that you realize I'm just wanting to help. This is without question the most active board I use and can see that you could have your hands full. You're right in that we don't see 90% of the "edits" you perform and I'm definitely not referring to the situations highlighted above. If you are doing that, then yes, a PM would be an extra step. However, if it were I, those practices would suffice. As a mod on a MUCH SMALLER board, those practices are in place as well, but if not, a PM would follow.

Again, I appreciate all your input and maybe this thread will help others understand a little of what goes on behind the scenes.

Roc_Droid

Reaction score
Fantastic job, Mod Squad!!! As a member who trolls the boards several hours out of the day, I do appreciate the work that you do.

And to all of the newbies out there, ACTIVE TOPICS is your friend (found at the top of every page)! :icon_ poke:

moosc

Reaction score
Had to check what sight I was on. Thought maybe I went to crackberry but guess not. I hope this thread gets deleted. Use a Pm instead.

bllarkin

Reaction score
I have to say you guys do a great job. I am a mod over at the xbox.com forums, and it is crazy how fast stuff pops up and needs to be dealt with. You guys do a great job.