To Kill a G Watch

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So as I mentioned yesterday, I am going to try and make my G Watch die by the end of the day. Normally I have ZERO problem going one day. Generally have around 50%+ left by bedtime.
  • Brightness (usually at 1 or 2) set to 6
  • Always On
  • Tilt to Wake: On (usually off)
  • Using the stock "Photos" watch face (thinking the changing of the photo might help and the overall brightness)
  • Reset ALL Notifications including 2 Google Hangouts I am in that both have over 50 people in them (probably 20-30 active in one, 10-15 active in the other).
Even my son got in on the act of helping me kill it by GETTING ME UP 90 MINUTES EARLY TODAY! &$^$%
I will update a few times today.

So far, 2 hours in and it's down about 8% (I only just enabled ALL Notices, all the other options were set since 7:08 this morning).

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Curious to hear the results....I still think it will last most of the day.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Lunch time update. Watch has been BLOWING UP with notifications. I SO want to turn those Hangouts off, but I shall not.

Looks like it's going to make it, according to the app...

Screenshot_2015-02-11-13-28-06.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get a flashlight app and leave it turned on?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
LOL.. I don't want to damage it! :D

4PM @ 50%.
I've been using it to reply to Hangouts now...

On u somewhat unrelated note, the Stock "Photos" face is pretty cool. I though it would be the same 10 photos or so. There are a TON of them.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Install a live wallpaper that uses your gallery and set it to refresh every 5 seconds or so. The cpu will never deep sleep, wasting battery.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I looked for an app like that, Mark. Didn't find one. Not really the point though.
We always talk about "moderate" use. I wanted to subject the watch to see "extreme" real time use. And with my Hangouts really blowing up after the work day ended, the watch did die. It did NOT make a full day for me.
Took it off the charger at 7:08 AM. It died around 9:30 PM. So that's almost 14 1/2 hours of EXTREME usage.
I doubt anyone gets text msgs like I was getting Hangout notices. So I think its safe to say that the G Watch will last an entire day...is damn near impossible to kill...in one day for 98% of users.
I'd post a screenshot here but, as stated... She's dead, Jim.
I'll get one when I put her back on the charger.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good stuff @PereDroid! I thought it would make it a little longer than that....but that's still pretty good IMO. I agree, most users are not going to use it that hard every day. And even if they do 14 hours is not too shabby. We all have to sleep sometime and that's when the watch can charge.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Not too shabby @PereDroid. a few questions....
Do you have it activated to vibrate when you get a notification, or just light up? Did you only use it to "receive" notifications, or did you use it to respond as well? I'd like to see what the numbers look like with bluetooth enabled and using it as your main device to respond to all (or most) of your calls and text messages. I think that would be an interesting test to do next.
Thanks for sharing your results!

S5 tap'n

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Not too shabby @PereDroid. a few questions....
Do you have it activated to vibrate when you get a notification, or just light up? Did you only use it to "receive" notifications, or did you use it to respond as well? I'd like to see what the numbers look like with bluetooth enabled and using it as your main device to respond to all (or most) of your calls and text messages. I think that would be an interesting test to do next.
Thanks for sharing your results!

S5 tap'n
It always vibrates... There's no option to turn off. He did state he was responding to hangouts with it. It only uses Bluetooth so either way it's always on.

I think this is great battery performance considering the abuse you put it through.

I will say I don't like its battery stats though. It doesn't give much information really. It never shows a watch face using the battery and I know ones that pull weather and battery info are obviously doing more than just telling time and displaying a pic. So I'd like more details in there.

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will say I don't like its battery stats though. It doesn't give much information really. It never shows a watch face using the battery and I know ones that pull weather and battery info are obviously doing more than just telling time and displaying a pic. So I'd like more details in there.

I agree with the stats comment. I think that'll be something that will not last much longer , that Wear is going to grow leaps in not only abilities but things such as what we've grown so accustomed to on our bigger devices. Who knows, Gsam might have a Wear app out by summer.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
14 hours is amazing to me with this test. As I stated in the thread that started this project, I keep my brightness on 2 and tilt to wake off, so that alone is good to know. I'm sure I won't be changing the tilt to wake feature, but if the snow ever melts here, I'm sure I'll crank the brightness on warm, sunny days.

Fascinating experiment and I'm glad you shared it with us Pere!

Reactions: cr6
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I intended to do more but I really only sent a few "voice to text" messages after I posted that.
Wednesdays are a busy day for me. Wake > kid to school > work > kid to Tae Kawn Do > Playdate with kid and friend > dinner.
I really cannot stress enough how it was blowing up probably around 8:30. It was practically NON STOP with the one Hangout I am in. It's an Ingress Hangout in case anyone was wondering why I am in a Hangout with 55 people. Seriously. Non Stop. I was *dismiss*dismiss*dismiss*dismiss*dismiss. It was C-R-A-Z-Y.
Bazillion % agree about the ridiculous battery stats.
But I do like the graph. You can even see the SHARP drop when my phone was just being LIT UP.
Fit is using less since I did that swipe thing we talked about in the other thread... but still there...
I'm not just impressed....I'm blown away.
So I am going to leave Tilt To Wake on for awhile, it WAS handy (especially when it was blowing up), unless it annoys me: and I have set my brightness more in the mid range (4). No more trying to conserve battery for me.

Screenshot_2015-02-11-22-44-09.jpg

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't know what I did different but no fit for me...

4ad49fe956f25abef4e57fbf13b4d0b6.jpg