To Gingerbread, Custom ROM or Both....

SlimMan

Reaction score
Hi,

I am learning all about this rooting, updating, and custom rom's and a lot of it has been trail and error. A couple of times I thought I had really done my phone in but thanks the ever growing and learning communities of Android sites and Google, I managed to revive it.

I was wondering if I could get some input on what to do with my phone. I like customizing it and I change it quite often. I'm wondering if I should do just Gingerbread, or just a custom ROM (CM) or both? If you don't mind could you posted your opinion and state why you feel that way?

Thanks, and thanks for allowing me to be part of your community.

Slim!

JokerSeven

Reaction score
After I rooted mine, I tried the leaked Gingerbread first. It was great but I still wanted to tinker so I could not stop there. After a week I tried CyanogenMod 7. Wow, its not even close...
It is so fast and responsive. I love the customization. There are a few small bugs, remember its still a beta. The only big downside is that CM7 has ruined my plans to upgrade phones ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Custom roms win by far here. If it weren't for a certain Droid 1, which has a certain screen that is shattered, I would not be on a D2 Global right now. Even went ahead and changed (while running cm) the Android Version value from 2.3.5 to IceCreamSandwich for kicks.

louy99

Reaction score
CM7 ALL THE WAY!!!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
S

SlimMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the current replies... I sorta felt like it would lean towards the ROM only deal but I will wait a bit more just to see if any more suggestions weigh in.

Slim!

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Might want to update to rooted blur gingerbread. You'll get all the battery life increases the new kernel brings, and working bluetooth on cm7 should you flash it. Only thing is, camera isn't working(again) if you use the gingerbread based cm4d2g.

OP
S

SlimMan

Reaction score
Well right now I am sitting on Deodexed GB. I did try the nightly builds of CM but I was on froyo at the time and I had serve battery drainage and it was very slow and at times just completely unresponsive. Been doing some reading on the GummyJAR, I know they have stopped work on it and are getting ready to release a new one, I might wait and see what that does before I do anything.

Again I would like to say thanks for the replies!

Slim!

andyc

Reaction score
I bounced between various custom roms before settling with the deod GB a while ago. I've been too busy to mess around with the new roms, but GB has worked great for me.