To buy an extended battery or not

Mrs EB

Reaction score
This is my first thread in this forum and I received my Droid 2 Global for Christmas. This is the first smart phone I've ever had. I have noticed that the battery does go quickly as I have been using the phone's 3G internet usage more than anything else. I've downloaded three news sites, the weather channel, the NYC traffic app, and bar code app. But on a regular basis, I've only used one app and that's the weather channel one. Mostly I have been using the phone for my gmail account.

So should I get an extended battery? How much longer life is the extended battery from the regular one? Do I need to buy another battery cover for it? Or should I just buy an extra regular battery?

I don't drive so I can't just plug the phone into the cigarette lighter. I also am out and about more than I am in one place.

Thanks for your input.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is my first thread in this forum and I received my Droid 2 Global for Christmas. This is the first smart phone I've ever had. I have noticed that the battery does go quickly as I have been using the phone's 3G internet usage more than anything else. I've downloaded three news sites, the weather channel, the NYC traffic app, and bar code app. But on a regular basis, I've only used one app and that's the weather channel one. Mostly I have been using the phone for my gmail account.

So should I get an extended battery? How much longer life is the extended battery from the regular one? Do I need to buy another battery cover for it? Or should I just buy an extra regular battery?

I don't drive so I can't just plug the phone into the cigarette lighter. I also am out and about more than I am in one place.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Mrs EB. :welcome: to the Droid Forums.

You're right, these phones do use a lot of battery. A lot of people will give you all kinds of advice about how to save on battery usage. I'm not going to because all that advise amounts to you not getting the full benefit of the Droid.

Instead of an extended battery I would advise simply getting an extra battery from Amazon.com. Now I think the D2G uses the same battery as my D2 so you can pick one up there for 8.00. I also recommend getting a wall charger. If the battery is the same size as my D2 then you can use the wall charger for the original Droid. They cost about 5.00 on ebay.

I also recommend getting a charging cradle to put your phone on when at your at your desk or wherever you might be when you want it near by but not using it. I have 2, one on my desk and one by the bed.

If you do these things you won't be worried about the battery and you will enjoy your phone a heck of a lot more. Maybe if you're in the car a lot consider a car charger too.

caspr

Reaction score
I have the extended battery and I normally get 30 hrs out of it. Or more if I'm using the phone lightly. Right now I have 1 day and 4 hrs and am at 60%.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
for the extended battery you do need the extended battery door/cover
you should be able to find both for under 50 bucks.

Only buy OEM motorola batteries. knock offs do not last. or a least the two I bought only last about 1/2 the time as a stock OEM battery.

read this thread, lots of good tips on battery life/usage
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/110414-battery-sucks-does.html

Last edited: