TMI! ICS Rooted, TB Pro & OTA Rootkeeper installed. Best SAFE Way to Upgrade to JB??

Dunb440

Reaction score
I like many have have ICS .211, Titanium backup, OTA rootkeeper and free wifi tether hack thru SQLlite as well.

I keep getting the request to OTA update, so I froze the updater with TB for now but want to do the upgrade if it is safe.

How can those of us with this config;
Safely upgrade to JB
Keep root
Keep USB & wifi tether

Also will it be ok to restore all user AND system apps with TB after upgrade?

There are a hundred fragmented threads but I cannot seem to find the surefire way to do this properly.

srbecker

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. My update keeps failing, so I used OTA Voodo to temp. un-root, and going to try the update. Id like to see what our options are for this too.

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
Did you do the update yet? results etc?

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Protect root with voodoo, but don't temp unroot (I don't know why this was advised exactly, but it worked out fine for me.) Then you can update to JB and restore root. But further, you have the insurance of knowing there is now a Jellybean root method, so even if that screws up somehow, there's that.

I didn't have to re-enable my wifi tether hack either... but again, I installed WITHOUT wiping.

I can confirm though, that either way, you can definitely keep root and wifi/usb tethering. I'm proof.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No need to go through all that and stress out. Simply go here (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...t912-jellybean-windows-mac-linux-all-one.html), download the tool, run option 2 (if you don't want to wipe the internal storage), or option 1 (if you DO want to wipe internal storage), then after running either 1 or 2, run option 3 to root, and then option 4 for Safestrap and you're done.

You will have to do the WIFI Tether hack again, but it's no big deal. Just open the file, change the 1 to a 0, save and reboot.

helron

Reaction score
I know this sounds like a stupid question and a few of u may want to post a great big "DUH!" -- I installed the Razr JB Utility, rooted and installed safestrap with the same utility! Is this one stop shopping, or what!

Anyway, here's my Question:
Folks are saying that JB wil be pushing another OTA update to fix a few flaws. If that happens will I:
1. Lose root?
2. Receive the OTA?
3. Should I install Rootkeeper?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated, becaue I am new at all of this stuff:)

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
I have the same questions.
I didn't know another ota was in the works.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Helron, you bring up a great question. Thing is...nobody really knows if the update in question (or for that matter any update), will cause us to lose root. Also, although we have been very fortunate in all but the most recent cases that Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper works well and allows us to as you say "hide it's protected copy", there is nothing to prevent VeriGooglRolla (I coined that name), from coming up with a way to defeat it. My gut feeling is that it's low on their priorities list - especially now that they have the ability to see if a phone's been or is rooted, so as to protect themselves from excessive or unwarranted warranty claims.

So, to answer the questions in order;

Folks are saying that JB wil be pushing another OTA update to fix a few flaws. If that happens will I:

1. Lose root? - Who's to say? We won't know until and if someone updates and loses (or doesn't lose), root!

2. Receive the OTA? - Yes, as long as you haven't altered the OS in any way from the pure stock version, that means NO freezing deleting or changing of apps (deactivate within OS is OK), no installation of non-stock "system" apps, no changing of parameters such as the "Entitlement Hack", etc. The short answer is PURE STOCK, you'll get the OTA.

3. Should I install Rootkeeper? - I say, why not? My gut feeling is it can't hurt, and if it works - GREAT! If it doesn't, well it did no harm.

helron

Reaction score
Helron, you bring up a great question. Thing is...nobody really knows if the update in question (or for that matter any update), will cause us to lose root. Also, although we have been very fortunate in all but the most recent cases that Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper works well and allows us to as you say "hide it's protected copy", there is nothing to prevent VeriGooglRolla (I coined that name), from coming up with a way to defeat it. My gut feeling is that it's low on their priorities list - especially now that they have the ability to see if a phone's been or is rooted, so as to protect themselves from excessive or unwarranted warranty claims.

So, to answer the questions in order;

1. Lose root? - Who's to say? We won't know until and if someone updates and loses (or doesn't lose), root!

2. Receive the OTA? - Yes, as long as you haven't altered the OS in any way from the pure stock version, that means NO freezing deleting or changing of apps (deactivate within OS is OK), no installation of non-stock "system" apps, no changing of parameters such as the "Entitlement Hack", etc. The short answer is PURE STOCK, you'll get the OTA.

3. Should I install Rootkeeper? - I say, why not? My gut feeling is it can't hurt, and if it works - GREAT! If it doesn't, well it did no harm.

Thanks! I will give Rootkeepr a shot. Regarding #2 above:
1. Should I ever decide to freeze a stock app, and then learn of OTA push, can I unfreeze it prior to OTA install?
2. Exactly what apps are considered system apps? I assume these are Roms? How about Saftstrap, Rootkeeper, and other 3rd party apps.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
[/INDENT]

1. Should I ever decide to freeze a stock app, and then learn of OTA push, can I unfreeze it prior to OTA install?
2. Exactly what apps are considered system apps? I assume these are Roms? How about Saftstrap, Rootkeeper, and other 3rd party apps.

[/FONT]
[/B]

FoxKat is where it's at! You the man! Helron, if you disable apps (same as freezing) within the phone settings -->apps --> all apps, then you are safe for update. If you freeze apps within titanium backup, then you will want to unfreeze before taking an OTA. Technically only the frozen apps in TiBU that can't be disabled in settings will be the ones to unfreeze. Frozen apps in TiBU that can also be disabled in settings are safe to keep frozen and get an OTA. But the safest thing is to just unfreeze any apps that were frozen in TiBU.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
[/INDENT]

[/FONT]
[/B]

Q1, Tis was SPOT ON!

Q2, only apps that are in the SYSTEM folder, or in other words apps that you can't NORMALLY change - except through Root access, or if using a third party installer/utility/tool that executes ADB commands, or "plants" small subroutines to do the same. For instance, a program that lets you change the Boot Animation - there are some which can do this without root, this would effectively have changed something in the system folder, normally inaccessible to you except in read-only. The Droid RAZR Utility or the RAZR_Root tools are examples of utilities that "plant" small subroutines that when rebooted are executed by the system to make changes to the system files. Bootstrap is another example, but that requires root, so the point mentioning it is somewhat moot.

helron

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am learning so many things using this forum.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

helron

Reaction score
Thank you both and sorry for not responding , ASAP. I've been away and have not been able to review all my email and forum content.
Can I install Rootkeeper on Razr with Kexec Rom via Safrestap installed.
Do I install it on Stock side of Safestrap. Yes?
Love Kexec but can't find USB Debugging is Settings. Develper options is gone in Rom view.