Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well as I have some time off I decided in order to help feel useful and accomplished I am going to learn (or in some cases re-learn) some smartphone features or "gadgets"

Since I have a Note 8 I am posting in this Forum as some will specifically pertain to it..

Before it starts a war YES I am sure some of what I go over will be general or everyday knowledge but to me and most likely others it may not be.

Feel free if anyone has a cool tip or even feature you want to throw out here...

I'm going to start with icons. I, like many of you use a 3rd party Launcher. However Samsung now has a pretty decent theme store. Last night I found a set of icons on there I really really liked. I was bummed I couldn't use them as I'm not using TouchWiz Launcher.... Or so I thought.... You can still use icon packs from Theme store. Just down load them, apply them and in Nova (what I use) set the icon to system... They will work. Again many of you may already know this but I was very happy to stumble upon this last night.

Next in line is Note related... When using the S pen to draw or write on the screen instead of having to select the eraser tool you can just hold the button on the pen and it makes it an eraser.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I doubt I have even used 60 percent of the features on the note 8, let alone know about them :) there's just so much
I know! I have found so so much on smartphones in general I just don't utilize. I have been playing with Google Assistant a lot. Next is going to be becoming better at multitasking...

The other night I really utilized the double tapping the recent button for switching between 2 apps. I was watching Netflix and switching between that and messaging worked great. It just switches between the 2 most recent apps

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Keep the tips coming in Miller. No way a thread like should should ever start a war; we all have info that can be passed along to one another. I'm sure we can all learn something new with threads like this.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Here's something I just stumbled on. Not sure if it's a setting I changed or not but the capture button can be used for zoom... Press and slide left or right to zoom in and out.
20180316_104648.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here's something I just stumbled on. Not sure if it's a setting I changed or not but the capture button can be used for zoom... Press and slide left or right to zoom in and out.

That might be a Samsung camera feature? On my Moto Z when I press and hold the capture button the camera takes rapid pics. I just snapped about 8 pictures in 2 seconds of my computer keyboard.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
That might be a Samsung camera feature? On my Moto Z when I press and hold the capture button the camera takes rapid pics. I just snapped about 8 pictures in 2 seconds of my computer keyboard.

On Samsung it does rapid take also but it takes a second or so to engage. Must be just a note 8 feature. Sorry bud.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's all good. It's too easy to delete the extra pics. I like this thread.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Ok not sure what all devices this applies to or even exactly when it became about but I LOVE LOVE LOVE It..... For years I have HATED the shaded box around lock screen notifications... I thought it looked cheap and corny... Well today by accident while FDR'ing my Note 8 I see there in an option to adjust the transparency of those notifications... Its located in Settings> Lock Screen> Notifications..... I am so excited about this!!!
786098896be8d33108f2bae29019e934.jpg

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for another useful tip Miller. That one might be a Samsung Setting, maybe related to their notification display style? I don't have that Setting on stock Android. It's still a good tip though, and very well might benefit someone that just never wanted to post & ask.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Something else I have found very useful that I missed was the ability to choose how to open a file with what app..... IE before when I opened lets say a PDF we were always given the option to use the app "Always" or "Just Once". I liked this feature as I liked being able to try different apps based on my needs.... One of the previous updates eliminated that.. It was a one shot deal once you used an app that was it.. Well after my FDR I see that Oreo has brought back the option for this....

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think you can also reset those app preferences at any time by going to Settings > Apps (or Application Manager depending on phone) > three dot menu > Reset App Preferences. It does clear all of them at once though.

5593df83c365deb256ffc4b8c859e44a.jpg

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Yeah I think you can reset them but it was a pain having to do it all the time..... My main issue with it was opening PDF's... depending on what I wanted to do with it made a difference what app I wanted to use... I am excited about this...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
When using the S pen to draw or write on the screen instead of having to select the eraser tool you can just hold the button on the pen and it makes it an eraser.

Wow, I didn't know this! Or many of the things already mentioned in this thread! I think I'm going to love this thread, Miller6386!