Tips and Tricks

IamGov

Reaction score
Tips and Tricks (some caparisons too)

I would first like to thank the following contributors to this:

Fluidj: For the idea

Hookbill: For the sticky

bigu: Thanks for the wonderful start with the beginners thread!

There has been a lot of good posts around here since the release of the Fascinate. A few of us got together and decided to put this compilation together to help all those new to Android and the Fascinate. Thanks and hope you enjoy!

There a few categories here. First we have some basic Android/Fascinate interface general guidelines. Next we have some App suggestions, some advanced tips, and finally some comparisons!

How to change the order/placement of icons:

You can change the order and placement of icons on the bottom row and in the application icon menus.

1. Click on applications button, far bottom right corner
2. Top far left there should be a small gear looking icon, click it
3. Now the icons should have a small gray outline
4. Long press and hold on the icon you want to move
5. Drag icon to area you want (you can move icon all the way to the right to create another applications screen, I did this to place all those bloat apps on one screen)
6. You can also move icons from the bottom tray now, except for the applications/home icon (you have to move one out before placing one on, only 3 icons are interchangeable on touchwiz)
7. Any icon showing a red circle can be deleted by long pressing, this deletes the applications, not just the icon

How to add Facebook contacts to your list, without adding the all!

1. Make sure your Facebook account is activated with the device
a. Goto Settings
b. Select Accounts
c. Select Add Account
d. Select Facebook
e. Enter your info
f. Select sync contacts, if you want birthdays in you calendar you can add this too
2. Goto contacts
3. Hit menu button, far left bottom on phone face
4. Select Get Friends
5. At the top Facebook should appear, click it
6. Give it a minute to load all your contacts
7. Select all of those you want to sync with your contacts list (see next guide to add to current contact)

How to add a Facebook contact to a current contact
(To be used if the contacts will not sync automatically due to a name difference or other factors)

1. Make sure you completed my prior request for getting your Facebook contacts
2. Goto the contact you want to sync with a Facebook contact, this should be the contact on your phone
3. In the center of the screen you should see linked contacts bar, click it
4. Now select link contacts
5. Select Facebook
6. Select the contact file to sync
7. Click done and then done again
8. Repeat for all contacts that did not sync automatically
9. You can unlink contacts too using this method in case some went screwy

Changing keyboards from Android to Swype and back

1. At any input field....for quick use just go to a text message input box
2. Long press
3. A box should appear stating "Input Method", select
4. Choose the method you prefer
5. Can be done as many times as you want, once changed all input fields are changed

A few beginners tips as submitted by bigu:
Tip to set up Microsoft Exchange and get direct Emails on Samsung Fascinate
Follow these instructions to set up your Microsoft Exchange on your Samsung Fascinate and receive emails directly on your phone: 1. Press HomeKey and press the MenuKey 2. Choose Settings in MenuKey 3. Tap on Accounts and Setting 4. Select on Add Account and select Corporate 5. Enter your email address and password. 6. The [...]

Tip for Setting Picture as Contact Icon on Samsung Fascinate
Today we are going to share an important tip with Samsung Fascinate users, that is how to Set a Picture as a Contact Icon on Samsung Fascinate. If interested, follow us to find the way 1. From the Homescreen, select Applications –> Gallery 2. Touch a Category, then Touch a picture to select it 3. [...]

Guideline for TouchWiz launcher set up on Samsung Fascinate
Many launchers are available for your rooted Android phones, some like it but some people prefer going with established brands like Samsung. On Samsung devices the Android OS is covered with the Samsung’s TouchWiz UI. Launchers are actually an all around theme covering stock Android UI. Rooted users tend to use custom Android phone launchers [...]

Alphabetical Order for Apps on Samsung Fascinate (Hack)
There are many differences between the Galaxy S phones and one of them happens to be that the T-Mobile Vibrant puts apps in alphabetical order as nature intended. One member has managed to port the TouchWiz Launcher from the Vibrant and make it work on the Fascinate, so users no longer have to play a [...]

Tip to achieve a wallpaper change on Samsung Fascinate
Are you tired of the standard, boring wallpaper on your Samsung Fascinate? We don’t blame you. Everyone needs a change from time to time and luckily for you, changing wallpapers on the Fascinate couldn’t be easier. There are two different ways to achieve a wallpaper change. We’ll show you both of them in this guide. [...]

Tip to control over incoming calls filter on Samsung Fascinate
There’s always that handful of people that, if given the option, we would rather not talk to on most occasions. Sure you can typically “ignore” their calls and kick them to voicemail, but many folks are able to tell when a call has been screened manually. As a result, you’re inevitably going to end up [...]

Guideline for installing ringtones on Samsung Fascinate
The Samsung Fascinate comes with, shall we say, an interesting selection of ringtones. While some people may find something usable amidst the pre-installed options, others might prefer a wider selection. Luckily, it couldn’t be easier to install ringtones on your Samsung Fascinate. In this guide, we show you exactly how it’s done. First, you’ll need [...]

Suggested Apps:
1. Appbrain (backup all your apps online and use as a replacement for the market)
2. DroidForums powered by Tapatalk (easiest way to post and check this wonderful forum)
3. Google Maps (since Samsung/Verizon excluded)
4. Facebook (since Samsung/Verizon excluded)
5. Pageonce Money and Bills (great all in one financial apps)
6. Handcent (for sms, not one of my favorites, but a lot of people love it)
7. Launcher Pro (make your interface customize-able and looks more like traditional android)

There are a ton more very popular apps out there. There are many threads on them around here. Do a search and you will find. Remember most apps work on all android platforms, especially the really popular ones. Also if you download AppBrain you can do a search for all time download popularity, this is a great way to get started!

Something a little more advanced, not rooting

Below is a link for some dialer hacks. These access the programmer menu for the Fascinate. This is not rooting, but may void warranty. I, nor anyone involved, is responsible for your device if you choose to make the adjustments mentioned in link. If you are not sure, then don't. If you feel confident I suggest reading the ENTIRE thread at the link before doing ANYTHING!

Click here for dialer hidden menu, special thanks to Egg_Head

[video=youtube;QGsHu5xOolc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsHu5xOolc"]Video from CJSTREATER on how to do the dialer hacks[/video]

Some Comparisons for those looking to buy a Fascinate!

[video=youtube;XH5nfMB0qt8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH5nfMB0qt8"]Fascinate vs Droid X[/video]

[video=youtube;NB8H3c3fVy4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB8H3c3fVy4"]Fascinate vs Incredible[/video]

PLEASE ADD TO THIS, PULL OUT MY ERRORS AND SO ON. LETS KEEP THIS A WORKING AND ONGOING DOCUMENT FOR ALL TO BENEFIT!

Last edited:

fluidj

Reaction score
this is AWESOME!! THANKS!
Here's my contribution (cut & Pasted from another thread I Started):

How to bypass a corporate forced PIN# Lock screen!

Well here's what worked for me:
I followed the instructions posted here to turn on the hiddenmenu and enable the secret tuning codes.

Then I activated the Shutdown mode that disables the puzzle lock screen and allows you to turn your phone on and off simply by pressing the power button.
"Shutdown
*#7594#
This enables you to shut your phone off by long-pressing the power/lock key.
No more pop-up confirmation.
I have tested this and it works successfully.
I've also discovered by doing this, it will disable the puzzle/glass unlock screen.
Personally, having to push a button and slide the screen is redundant.
I like the one-step process."

By doing this, i'm also no longer prompted to enter a 4 digit pin which was pushed to my device by our IT department. In an emergency, or urgent situation, nothing is worse than having to enter a 4 digit pin just to get to your phone interface. It's also a pain because the QWERTY keyboard pops up, and then you have to either long press to get numbers, or switch it to number pad....either way, entering a 4 digit pin turns into waaaay more than just pressing 4 digits...
Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
OP
IamGov

IamGov

Reaction score
Thanks for the add on. The egg_head links in original post also links to the hidden menu options.

Sent via my Fascinate on the Droidforums app.
Owned D1, Incred, X, D2, and the Fascinate is the best.

fluidj

Reaction score
Install Google Navigation

Install Google Navigation

Despite popular belief, and all the rumors, the Fascinate CAN run Google Maps and do Google Navigation just like every other Android powered phone. You simply have to do one step that Verizon chose not to do:
Download Google Maps from the Market on your phone. Install. Run.
If you experience a long wait when trying to find and lock on satellites (you'll know because it will seem to take forever for Google to generate navigation directions for you) just download the app called "GPS Test" from the market. Run the GPS Test app in addition to the Google Maps app and you will get almost immediate lock on satellites.

Last edited: