Samsung Fascinate-VZW - Solved - MP3/WAVs as Notifications and Ringtones

bradleonard

Reaction score
Hello

I just bought my Samsung Fascinate from Verizon a couple of days ago. I am moving up from a Motorola Droid A855 (the beta phone for all droids :). I am really liking how fast this phone comparably to the Droid. My Droid was rooted and I was running the Gingerbread based ROM, Simply Stunning 5.4 from ChevyNo1.

When I got my Fascinate I noticed right away some major differences in the operation of it compared to my highly modified Droid. I found some features to be missing and lacking that I bad been used to.

The issue that this thread addresses is how to use regular MP3s or WAV files as Ringtones and Notification tones. On the Droid's SD card you can simply create a folder called <notifications> and <ringtones> and the phone will automatically recognize files in that folder as such and they will show up in the choice menu in most applications as available selections.

Naturally I thought I could simply move the folders to my new phone and it would just work the same way. This is not the case, at least for two phone Fascinates that I have tried.

After a lot of troubleshooting I figured out that Fascinate does not like having a folder called <notifications> on the root of the SD Card. The presence of this folder will cause the launcher to crash when trying to select notifications, in handcent and Gmail Notifier the phone would sometimes completely reboot when trying to select notification tones.

The phone appears to have no problem with the <ringtones> folder.

The solution that I found for the notification problem is to use the app, Ringdroid. Once I removed the notifications folder from the SD card temporarily put the notification sound files on the SD card root that I wanted to use, I open Ringdroid and then I was able to save them as a notification, ringtone or alarm tone. Once the files are saved, it would seem that you could remove the originals that were placed on the SD Root, but I haven't tried that yet.

The best that I can figure out is that Samsung's rendition of Android either stores the notification tones somewhere weird and buried in a folder or converts them to another format and puts them inside of one file. This was somewhat of a hassle initially, but now that its done I have my notifications back.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this same problem. The next problem I am going to attempt to fix is personalized ringtones. The Droid had the ability to have a ringtone per contact, the only way that I can see to do that on the Fascinate is to use the "groups" options which would be a total pain to set for every person that I want to have an individual ringtone.

Hope this helps somebody with this problem.

AllForNaught

Reaction score
My Fascinate simply stores ringtones AND notifications in the media folder.

I've never had an issue with mp3's working just fine when in those folders.

Media/audio/notifications/ringtones.

No need for any 3rd party apps.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

MarlowK

Reaction score
Try Ringdroid in the Market. Works great for me. Allows you to edit the music you want, too...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums