[TIP] Screen Brightness

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are all trying to save battery here. I don't like to be tethered to my wall outlet or my cars power adapter.

I've found a way to reduce screen brightness (without root) using an app.

I'm used to a pull down notification settings selection, from the ROM on my D1. The best thing I've found that is close without flashing a ROM is "Quick Settings". There are a few options with this app, but I'm only going to touch on one.

The brightness setting in the app has 3 buttons and a slider. The button on the left is minimum, right of the slider is maximum, and far right is auto. The slider adjusts from 0-100%.

Now go to the phones settings screen. Reduce the brightness to minimum there. Now go to a darker area of your house or office and watch what happens when you select minimum in Quick Settings! I'd say you get another 5-7% reduction in brightness!

I hope this gives you a little extra juice for your day!

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

Heywood

Reaction score
Quick settings was one of the first apps I installed, great no nonsense app

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I prefer screen filter :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
by sergej, aps or android??

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pistacio

Reaction score
I believe serjev. Had this app on my D1 also.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

spunker88

Reaction score
Does this allow more adjustment than the brightness setting included under Settings/Display/Brightness (Disable Automatic Brightness).

Erikbal

Reaction score
The phone from the factory has an auto brightness setting. That's what I leave mine on. When you use the bluetooth/wifi/gps/brightness widget you can set it from right there. You can go to like 2 or 3 different brightness settings and an auto one. People always comment and say my display looks dark, well that's cuz I have it on auto to save battery. You can also get to this under settings and display.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

spunker88

Reaction score
The setting doesn't stick after you restart the phone. Ive figured out that this extra 5-7% brightness is used when the device dims its display when left on and idle. I'm not sure if its really worth re-applying this hack each time you start the phone just to get a bit longer battery life.