TI Dual Core OMAP 5 Cortex A15 Smokes Quad-Core Cortex A9 in Benchmark

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;_kgPlsczhZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_kgPlsczhZg[/video]​

Texas Instruments released a video showing the Web page loading time between the TI OMAP 5 Cortex-A15 Dual Core clocked at 800MHz, and a Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9 processor clocked at 1.3 GHz. The only ARM Cortex A9 Quad Core that we are aware of is the Tegra 3, so we are going to assume this is what the OMAP 5 is pitted against in this video.

This benchmark measures the speed in which both SoC's render 20 webpages while simultaneously downloading videos and playing mp3's. We are not going to give away the results of the benchmark, but trust us, you will be astounded. Don't toss in the towel on the next round of Dual Cores just yet. Enjoy!

Source: CNX Software

Logan3824

Reaction score
Since quad-core technology hasn't been out that long, do you think the software is more engineered towards the dual-core? Another question, does any phone currently have this TI processor or do you know of any phone that may be getting this in the future?

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Since quad-core technology hasn't been out that long, do you think the software is more engineered towards the dual-core? Another question, does any phone currently have this TI processor or do you know of any phone that may be getting this in the future?
Last I heard the TI OMAP 5 ships Q4. I'm going to assume for now that software may play a huge roll in this benchmark, but we will find out soon enough

GBH2

Reaction score
Since quad-core technology hasn't been out that long, do you think the software is more engineered towards the dual-core?

Most software is not optimized for multi-threaded processing. But it is still "apples and orange" here. Cortex A9 is the current Generation ARM architecture and Cortex A15 is next Generation and a major architectural leap forward. The TI OMAP 5 has huge memory bandwidth improvements versus the Tegra 3 and a better GPU, I believe it is the VR544mx. People who care about SoC performance need to look at overall architecture and not merely clock speed or number of cores.

Another question, does any phone currently have this TI processor or do you know of any phone that may be getting this in the future?
No. It is sampling, but not shipping in bulk. It will be in phones shipping late this year. I would expect companies that are using TI OMAP 4xxx to possibly use the OMAP 5xxx in next gen products, such as Motorola, Bionic, Razr, etc. are OMAP 4430, Amazon Kindle Fire is OMAP 4430, Galaxy Nexus Prime is OMAP 4460, etc.

The OMAP 5430 looks very impressive, a substantial improvement over Tegra 3, and I believe it will be superior to first generation Krait. Hopefully they can get it out the door and in products shipping sooner rather than later.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Efficiency is always better than more cores. Also, software needs to be optimized. But honestly, when talking about a phone/tablet...I'm not sure it really matters. I'm not loading 20 pages one after another. If I load up a page and it takes 3 seconds as compared to 3.5 seconds, is it really a bad thing to me, or even observable.

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
Looks like this would be a case of optimization more so than processor. Not to say that TI processors aren't more efficient but I highly doubt by this much and by seeing the A9 Quad core power through graphic intensive processes with ease compare to any other cores. Plus that is where the real muscle is needed.

sleekgeek

Reaction score
unless those webpages were locally stored, then network speed will handicap the whole test.

equake

Reaction score
This may be faster than Krait but Qualcomm has the advantage of integrating all Mobile radios in the package including LTE. I assume the OMAP 5 will be on the 28nm process technology.

Is 800 Mhz a typo? or is it 1.8 Ghz?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
This may be faster than Krait but Qualcomm has the advantage of integrating all Mobile radios in the package including LTE. I assume the OMAP 5 will be on the 28nm process technology.

Is 800 Mhz a typo? or is it 1.8 Ghz?
No, it's not a typo. It's really running at 800MHz.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, basically each core of this beast is comprised of 4 smaller cores that can be used as necessary, thus making the dual-core configuration technically 8 cores? Well, of course it's gonna smoke a quad core A9 since that only has half the total cores.