Throwback Thursday: Apex Gingerbread Rom For The Droid X!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Anyone who had a Droid X especially the Verizon variant can remember the outrage you felt when you realized it didn't include an unlocked bootloader. Not only did it not have an unlocked bootloader it also had an E-Fuse. For a long time it was believed that if this E-Fuse was blown by tinkering your device would be damaged for good with a voided warranty. It turned out to pretty much just void your warranty.

For months the community held out hope that the bootloader would one day be unlocked. In the meantime Koush developed a version of ClockworkMod recovery that did not require your phone to be bootloader unlocked. It essentially bypassed the bootloader all together. The only issue with this is that you could not run an AOSP rom. You had to run a rom based on the Droid X stock rom.

Many developers did their very best to fancy up Moto Blur. For the most part these roms were extreme deviations from Blur. They covered the skin with a skin! These roms made our phones look and feel different and also sped things up with tweaks and mods. One rom however sought to bring a more stock like experience to the Droid X.

The APEX rom by developer "Fabulous" aka Andrew Xie was based on Motorola's build of Android. It was stripped of most Blur components. Only essential Blur pieces were left. The rom included some extras like the Nexus S Live Wallpaper, themed Gmail/Email/Music Notifications, Lots of performance scripts, GingerBread theme, custom transition animations and more! This was one heck of a rom. I used it as my daily driver rom quite a bit.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I vastly prefer the industrial/robotic look of FroYo and Gingerbread to today's bland Material Design. I look at Material Design and get the urge to go buy skinny pants and glasses I don't need. And a manual typewriter. Blech.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I still have my Droid X. It is as mint as the day I took it out of the box.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The DX was a solid phone. Bring that back with LTE radios.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Remember flashing that stock Gingerbread leak on the DX? Man that was soo smooth at the time! FoxKat, wrong phone bro! :p
Haha. I didn't even see the pics until you said something.

This phone fox!!! Droid X not OG droid.

95358acbb17ab3fd93ab227bcd9b525e.jpg

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Had the ugly redheaded step child, aka the X2 lol. But yea, some of the old GB roms were great. The X2 even saw 4.1 thanks to a rom. Those were the good old days

Sent from my Note 4

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
wish my bionic hadn't been destroyed or that I'd of kept my razr or D4 or even my D2G... live and learn I guess.

I STILL haven't rommed my Moto X Pure, it does what I need without needing a rom, which is nice, hell haven't even rooted it... I just like the ability to root it if I want.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Remember flashing that stock Gingerbread leak on the DX? Man that was soo smooth at the time! FoxKat, wrong phone bro! :p

Haha. I didn't even see the pics until you said something.

This phone fox!!! Droid X not OG droid.
Yeah, I know the thread was about the X, but I misread @garamlen's post and thought he said "Droid" as a side comment, and I was actually replying to that post...so I screwed up... :confused: Post deleted.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yeah, I know the thread was about the X, but I misread @garamlen's post and thought he said "Droid" as a side comment, and I was actually replying to that post...so I screwed up... :confused: Post deleted.

Blame agent 99, it was her fault! :p

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+

It's okay both phones bring back the same great memories ...

I need to charge mine
df41d46ee7a4f0a39cd1a88c0d01236c.jpg
8a737aba42e7f3646aa35bc053d49bfb.jpg

6S PLUS

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't parted with their X. I still have the holster/case combo, extended battery and the accessory pack. I use it when I attend Nascar races to listen to the FM broadcast.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't parted with their X. I still have the holster/case combo, extended battery and the accessory pack. I use it when I attend Nascar races to listen to the FM broadcast.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus

Nice ...how ya doing brother ?

6S PLUS