thinking about getting a mot droid and need your help

ncage1974

Reaction score
Guys i'm currently on verizon and have have a blackbery tour which i hate. If you just want a messaging device the blackberry is great otherwise its horrible (except for tetherberry). i currently only have about 5 months on my current contract so i don't have the luxury of getting a contract price on the phone i will have to buy the phone outright. I'm looking on ebay for a new one. So here are my questions:

1) Most of the people who sell them on ebay don't have a original receipt they can send you. If you have problems with your phone in the 1st year do you have to have a receipt or do they go off the date you activated your phone? If there is any alternatives to ebay just let me know. I'm not paying $500+ for one.

2) I had a iphone for a short time so i know the app store is great. The blackberry appworld sucks. Its hard to find half way descent apps (for example to manage your netflix queue) and if you find an app thats descent then its overpriced. I know the android marketplace doesn't have nearly as many apps as iphone app store but is there pretty much everything there most people need? Is there anyway to browse the app store before you get a phone?

3) Does anyone know if the droid will continue to get upgrades to the OS or will you be stuck with 2.x?

thanks,
Ncage

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I'm guessing the reason you can't get a receipt is most of the folks on eBay and elsewhere have already sent them in for rebates and then they're selling the phone.

As far as the warranty question is concerned, I don't think (but admit I don't know) whether or not the warranty is transferrable. I'd guess not.

Applications: I've found pretty much everything I need but YMMV. My "must have" app might be your "don't care". Have a look here to get an idea of what's available.

OS upgrades: at this point, it's anybody's guess. It looks like they're selling a ton of Droids so I would guess it'll get upgrades for a good long time.

thelion

Reaction score
Droid specific or not, often times if you do not buy directly from a store you don't get the warranty. They are rarely transferable. But call VZW and ask. They know that folks sell them.

If you do buy via Ebay get an ESN first to ensure it is a "good" phone. Buy from a reputable seller and get insurance through VZW if the warranty is not transferable.

OP
N

ncage1974

Reaction score
Droid specific or not, often times if you do not buy directly from a store you don't get the warranty. They are rarely transferable. But call VZW and ask. They know that folks sell them.

If you do buy via Ebay get an ESN first to ensure it is a "good" phone. Buy from a reputable seller and get insurance through VZW if the warranty is not transferable.

Hmm i thought about getting a squaretrade warranty. Ya i'll only buy from people who have at least 50 feedback with a very good rating and of course purchase with a credit card just in case

darkgreen

Reaction score
They're probably selling ones that don't work well. If you read around you'll see that many people have to return some that don't work.

Just got mine home and found out I'm in this club :mad: