Thinking about getting a Droid DNA? A bit of Advice!

indee2025

Reaction score
Like many of you I did a lot of reading about the Droid DNA.

It seemed like a good fit for me. I went into a Verizon store to check it out in person and literally after about a minute I was ready to buy it right then and there off contract- I don't care what it costs it needs to be mine.

I looked around and off contract, the cheapest place to get a Droid Dna is from Amazon. The problem, is that Amazon has ridiculous terms & conditions and they don't offer any room to negotiate.

I ended up getting an early upgrade and paying $357 (after tax) for the Droid DNA...I also recieved a Nokia Wireless charging pad, Verizon Car charger & Defender Series OtterBox (I sold it) as part of the $357 deal.

I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend bying this device from a source that offers a swap/warranty for any defects. My device works perfectly but if I had a sim card issue, charging issue, black scren issue etc, I'm glad I have the peace of mind to be able to return it for another one...I also purchased the $5 a moth insurance for it as a current screen repair will cost you in excess of $300.

I'd recommend staying away from eBay for purchasing your Droid DNA because I believe most of the devices on there are the ones that have the issues we've been reading about in forums.

VitruvianRocker

Reaction score
The best way to get a deal is thru a search engine- i found the DNA thru logicbuy for $107 after taxes, and almost all resellers that ain't Verizon'll require a 6 month commitment (running simultaneously with your contract, not in addition to) so they can get their lucre for signing (or renewing) you. That said- the DNA is a great phone, provided you don't bang the thing around, drop it or set fire to it.

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I am also thinking about using an upgrade to get the DNA, just really dont wanna have buyers remorse in 2 months lol. But thats the gamble u take whenever u buy a new device.

VitruvianRocker

Reaction score
@ Dark_J: you won't- if anything can be gleaned from the initial posts and subsequent reposts- this thing rocks. Yeah- by the time you get used to it, there'll be an octo-processor with 128g of onboard storage and laser transfer rates on sale for $199 with a 2 year contract ($249 for renewal)- but nothing will diminish the performance of this thing, and it will serve well for the life of your contract.

rherron

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one. I can upgrade at a discounted price tomorrow. I went to Best Buy over the weekend and played with it. My concern is battery life. I'm not a gamer, and I don't watch many videos on my phone. The screen is beautiful, but, to me, is not really ridiculously better than GS3 or anything that's come out in the past year. I think much of the "improvement" is not that discernable to the human eye (at least a 43 year old human eye). I want it on all day. I email, text, web-surf a bit. Just normal stuff. How's your battery life? What type of user are you. Know that I have the original DROID RAZR, and I am fine with the life I get from it.

Basically I am sort of "torn" (sounds a bit drammatic as I am not into cellphones to that extent) between the DNA and waiting a bit and seeing what the GS4 turns out to really be.

And it's $99 at Amazon right now, which is pretty good.

mokes

Reaction score
I would wait. See what the new Moto phone looks like. Few others coming out too. The new Moto phone looks to be promising a bunch of new, cool things. I think every other phone coming out this year will be some version of what the DNA has, so it's going to be a matter of which Company you like most.

I also have a Razr, my wife upgraded from an Incredible 2 to the DNA and for her....it's a MONSTER jump forward. I use her phone a lot and I love Google Now, the quickness and smoothness of her phone, camera is great, etc, etc.

Battery life for her phone is outstanding to be honest. She comes home from a full day at work, probably texting and Facebooking all day and will have 1/2 to 3/4 of juice left. Usually 1/2. Still, that's not too shabby. The phone seems to manage power very well.

In my honest opinion, the DNA is wonderful phone for a lot of people, but not all because of the no SD Card issue. You can also store on the Cloud these days, so that's less of an issue. I only have a 16 gig card on my Razr and I have never needed more. I guess some people stuff a whole world onto their phones these days.

I'm 41, so I think we are probably similar users. My upgrade isn't for a few months, so I'm stuck, but personally, with the Razr going on JB soon, you still have a decent phone, that will be doing most of what these newer phones do. Why not sit on the Razr a bit longer and see what new toy Moto might be sending our way?

If you get a DNA, you won't regret it either. It really is an awesome phone. I would put it on top of the pile right now. Hard to beat the 99 bucks price for the DNA too. That Moto is gonna be expensive I would imagine.

Last edited:

Benzart

Reaction score
Get it NOW

It's just like not wanting a new Camera or computer because the next version will be so Great! Buy it Now and you will be able to
upgrade to the new stuff SOONER! Get it and enjoy the best there is for awhile.

charger805

Reaction score
hi everyone im new to the droid forum and actually asked these on my intro thread. but i got my droid dna thru the dell outlet site for $59 i dont know if they were having a promo or something but i got it with my 2 year renewal discount. i had to sacrifice my unlimited data plan but do you guys think i got a good deal on my droid dna.

rbw62

Reaction score
The new unreleased HTC ONE will put all phones to shame! VZW has foolishly chosen not to carry it.
The DNA has a lot of limitations, look at processor speed, amount of ram, no storage to speak of. There are problems with it. Look @ customer reviews on VZW.
No thanks DNA.

Sent from Batcave

Psykho

Reaction score
The new unreleased HTC ONE will put all phones to shame! VZW has foolishly chosen not to carry it.
The DNA has a lot of limitations, look at processor speed, amount of ram, no storage to speak of. There are problems with it. Look @ customer reviews on VZW.
No thanks DNA.

Sent from Batcave

Yeah okay... Besides the battery and storage which aren't a issue for people like me the DNA is hands down the most powerful device out... I don't know what you mean about the processor because it's currently the best and fastest until the HTC one is released. Add that to best screen, speaker, audio, and camera and there's no competition.

rbw62

Reaction score
What about the problems? Just because you think it is fastest processor does not make it a great phone. And the limitations are a roadblock to lots of people.
My Rezound has a better screen pixel density, a dual core 1.5, how bout that same speed as DNA! Maybe not quad, but how many apps take advantage of quad cores? Buff said..

Sent from Batcave

Psykho

Reaction score
What about the problems? Just because you think it is fastest processor does not make it a great phone. And the limitations are a roadblock to lots of people.
My Rezound has a better screen pixel density, a dual core 1.5, how bout that same speed as DNA! Maybe not quad, but how many apps take advantage of quad cores? Buff said..

Sent from Batcave

Ummm the DNA currently has the highest PPI ever on a smartphone tied with the new Sony Xperia and I know that quadrant and other benchmarks don't reflect real world but the DNA has the highest scores of any smartphone ever. And as far as problems I have no idea what your talking about I have none I know there's a few issues with some DNAs but that's a very low percent of devices . As far as limitations the battery last me all day no problem and I use 6gb of data a month. I still have 10gb of memory and don't plan on needing much more of it the way I use my phone.

Last edited:

VitruvianRocker

Reaction score

Sent from Batcave

lol... dude, the phone simply rocks. I've had mine for a bit more'n a month, loaded 6 gigs of music on it wirelessly thru doubletwist airsync, a crap-ton of apps (that'll never be used, more'n likely) and customized it to the point where i can't imagine needing more- and still have 4 gigs to fill. As to problems- every device has a few issues and the fail rate on the DNA is below standards found elsewhere. If you still like your rezound, good fer you. I still love my incredible- but it ain't anywhere close to the form and function of the DNA. You may want to step out of the batcave or at least open up a bit and let some air in there- the fumes are gettin' to you.

"Buff said"

lol...

rbw62

Reaction score
lol... dude, the phone simply rocks. I've had mine for a bit more'n a month, loaded 6 gigs of music on it wirelessly thru doubletwist airsync, a crap-ton of apps (that'll never be used, more'n likely) and customized it to the point where i can't imagine needing more- and still have 4 gigs to fill. As to problems- every device has a few issues and the fail rate on the DNA is below standards found elsewhere. If you still like your rezound, good fer you. I still love my incredible- but it ain't anywhere close to the form and function of the DNA. You may want to step out of the batcave or at least open up a bit and let some air in there- the fumes are gettin' to you.

"Buff said"

lol...

LOL, it may beat some other phones now, now is key, but look @ One, hands down will blow the DNA back to the caveman era! Higher pixel density, faster processor, 1.7 quad, 2 gb ram, newest op with sense 5. Don't cry because you jumped the gun & bought into VZW hype, back to Batcave.

Sent from Batcave