Things I miss about my BB Storm 2... can I do them on a DX?

GeneralZod

Reaction score
OK... so this DX completely blows my old BB S2 out of the water. However, there were a handful of things that BBs do very well, that I've yet to find any good way to do on my DX. Since I'm assuming there are more than a few x-BB users on this forum, I'm guessing they were also use to these things and have perhaps discovered ways to accomplish them:

1. Global Font Change... any way to simply increase the font for the DX?
2. Notifications... it seems profile/notification capability is very limited (or I'm doing it wrong) in Android. On a BB, I could set separate notification sounds for SMS, Text, IM, e-mail, etc.
3. Vibrate Mode... so when I put the phone in "Silent Mode" it only vibrates for phone calls. Is there a way t make it vibrate for SMS and e-Mail as well?
4. Profile Exceptions... with my BB, I could put it into bedside mode, where it wouldn't alert me or use the LED, and then set an exception to that it would only alert me if my wife called. All other calls and notifications were completely silent. This was very useful when one f us traveled and were timezones apart.

Really... it's two issues... fonts and profiles.

Thanks.

borge12

Reaction score
I really am not too sure about all of these things, but I'll try.

1. Global Font Change... any way to simply increase the font for the DX?

Under 'Settings' there is an 'Accessibility' that allows you to turn on 'zoom mode', maybe try that?

2. Notifications... it seems profile/notification capability is very limited (or I'm doing it wrong) in Android. On a BB, I could set separate notification sounds for SMS, Text, IM, e-mail, etc.

Yeah, you can do this. Go to each application and you can manage the 'notification' sound in the settings from that app.

3. Vibrate Mode... so when I put the phone in "Silent Mode" it only vibrates for phone calls. Is there a way t make it vibrate for SMS and e-Mail as well?

Same answer as above, most of the time vibrate is turned off. Go to the app and enable vibration under notifications.

Hope this helps!

the5barrons

Reaction score
The DX is a very one-on-one phone with apps and functions whereas the BB (I was on a Storm I) is very global with itself. That being said, the above response is correct that many of the setting are individualized for the app in question. With that said...

Zoom mode certainly does give you an option to making that portion of the screen bigger. Not sure why you'd need the text font to be larger (and pardon me for asking), but with a screen as large as the DX, I figure the stock font sizes were just fine. I guess the home screen fonts under each app or contact are a little small...

***Also, I agree in that the BB was very good bout being able to assign a separate, custom sound to every function. The DX, not so much. For the functionality of the DX though, I'm willing to overlook that. I can put whatever song/file I want as the ringtone and I don't really care about the notification sound...so I'm peachy.

OP
GeneralZod

GeneralZod

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. The suggestions helped. I now see where the alerts are for the specific apps. However, it seems that for SMS, while you can turn on Vibrate, it doesn't have the "Vibrate Only in Silet Mode" feature... correct? Again, thank you.

I'll definitely look into App Brain.

tourplayer

Reaction score
If you purchase "Profile" from the market it will give you the option to manage profiles just like the BB did. It's one of the best things I've purchased and I think it's only $1.99. Well worth it in my opinion. It has some standard profiles but also the ability to create your own.

OP
GeneralZod

GeneralZod

Reaction score
If you purchase "Profile" from the market it will give you the option to manage profiles just like the BB did. It's one of the best things I've purchased and I think it's only $1.99. Well worth it in my opinion. It has some standard profiles but also the ability to create your own.
Very cool. I assumed there had to be a tool like that, given that the phone is more than capable hardware wise.

pcw

Reaction score
Former Blackberry user (11 years).

I tried several profile apps from the Android Market, settled on Audio Guru (free). I'm impressed...

Once installed, press on Android Widgets from any of your home screens; there are several Audio Guru widgets to choose from. Each offers a slightly different style of functionality.

Well designed, clean user interface. Nice job, developers!

forkup

Reaction score
Font changer works for global font changes but it's for root only.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Thanks for the quick responses. The suggestions helped. I now see where the alerts are for the specific apps. However, it seems that for SMS, while you can turn on Vibrate, it doesn't have the "Vibrate Only in Silet Mode" feature... correct? Again, thank you.

I'll definitely look into App Brain.

If you go under sound and vibrate you can choose only while in silent mode but that will be for sms and calls. Not sure if that is a problem for you.