Theranos Brings Awesome News for People Who Hate Needles and Blood Tests

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
theranos-elizabeth-holmes.jpg
Here's a cool bit of high-tech off topic news to share today.

It looks like Walgreens is teaming up with a new high tech startup inventor to offer cheap & quick blood tests that don't use a traditional needle and require only a tiny amount of blood. For people who are squeamish at the sight of blood, or experience needle shock or extreme vagal vassal reactions, this is incredible news!

The product/service is called Theranos and was developed by Elizabeth Holmes. In the video above Holmes shares how Theranos tests work and why she developed the concept. This is set to completely disrupt the medical blood lab test industry and put Walgreens at the forefront of this movement. It's exciting what can be done when you put your mind to it!

Last edited:

Heero121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
Going to be starting my 3rd year in med school this coming March *crosses fingers*, and really am genuinely excited about this. It will be nice to no longer have to stick patients (especially sick children and the elderly) numerous times for routine testing essentially leading them to more pain and risk of infection. In many cases its not the amount of blood that is the issue its the onsite trauma that occurs at the drawn site. I am also happy to hear that Theranos isnt playing ball like the other health tech companies and charging a huge amount because they know they can get away with it. For the people, not for their pockets. Good business model :)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I just had a blood test recently. On my new insurance I have to pay 1/3rd of the cost. It was $400! Meaning the test itself was $1,200! When I saw my Doctor (who happens to also a big shot at Cle Clinic) I said "why the hell is a blood test $1,200 in 2014!".
I don't begrudge any lab tech from making a good living, but how long could it POSSIBLY take to do a blood test? I'll even give you an hour. So pay the guy $200/hour.... how DO you justify $1,200???

My doctor said: "Wait for it... new testing coming out that can test blood for $7.00...." And I see it here first on DF. lol Awesome.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'll just say I hate it and those finger pricks hurt also and stay sore a long time. As a pilot for a living I have to get it done every 6 Months. :(

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Those little needle stabs make my finger swell up. It's the worst possible place to have a reaction as well. Thankfully it is a rare occasion for me to have to do it.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I'll just say I hate it and those finger pricks hurt also and stay sore a long time. As a pilot for a living I have to get it done every 6 Months. :(

Those little needle stabs make my finger swell up. It's the worst possible place to have a reaction as well. Thankfully it is a rare occasion for me to have to do it.
So are we saying that we don't like it, but will tolerate it? Or, please find another darn test that can a bit more but hurt less?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I just had a blood test recently. On my new insurance I have to pay 1/3rd of the cost. It was $400! Meaning the test itself was $1,200! When I saw my Doctor (who happens to also a big shot at Cle Clinic) I said "why the hell is a blood test $1,200 in 2014!".
I don't begrudge any lab tech from making a good living, but how long could it POSSIBLY take to do a blood test? I'll even give you an hour. So pay the guy $200/hour.... how DO you justify $1,200???

My doctor said: "Wait for it... new testing coming out that can test blood for $7.00...." And I see it here first on DF. lol Awesome.
Yeah it's pretty amazing how they take ya to the cleaner on every little thing now days.. ER visit.. 1k just for hitting the door...

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'm saying I don't like pricks,( ??) stabs, and I'll throw in bullet holes... with that said hopefully the small amount they need won't be from the tip of a finger.