The volume increases all the way by itself

tibi

Reaction score
This phone is possessed. I've used it for just over a year now without any problems. Now, out of the blue, it will turn on the volume all the way by itself. That in and of itself wouldn't bother me too much, but after it does it none of the buttons on the side function until the screen does it's automatic timed shutdown. I've tried resetting it a couple times to no avail. Now the volume up button doesn't function at all. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know what causes it or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Tyronius89

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S7 Edge
I am having a similar issue. I have my music turn up to the max (before the volume bar turns red) and, all of a sudden, without touching it the phones volume will shoot up to max (red volume bar).

I've only started having this issue for the last week or two, before that no issues with volume control.

The volume up button is still useable so maybe my issue is slightly different.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I am having a similar issue. I have my music turn up to the max (before the volume bar turns red) and, all of a sudden, without touching it the phones volume will shoot up to max (red volume bar).

I've only started having this issue for the last week or two, before that no issues with volume control.

The volume up button is still useable so maybe my issue is slightly different.
Welcome to the forum! This thread is about 3 years old, but if you'd let us know your phone make and model, that might help.

Also, have you installed any new apps recently? Maybe one of them is going rogue and causing this issue.

Tyronius89

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S7 Edge
Hi Jonny. Sorry about posting in such an old thread, to be honest I was in a hurry/panic this morning and didn't bother to check the date on the previous post.

My current make/model is Samsung S7 Edge and I've recently updated to the latest version so this may have caused the issue.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Jonny. Sorry about posting in such an old thread, to be honest I was in a hurry/panic this morning and didn't bother to check the date on the previous post.

My current make/model is Samsung S7 Edge and I've recently updated to the latest version so this may have caused the issue.
Welcome to the forum.
It could be not so much the firmware update itself but how it interacts with an aftermarket app. I agree with Jonny, I'd look at any recent app updates, even those done just prior to the firmware update.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First try rebooting into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists.

To reboot into Safe Mode, first wake and unlock your phone.

Next, press and hold the power button until you see the Power off, Restart and Emergency mode options.

Now press and hold the Power off selection until the Reboot into safe mode notification window pops up.

Finally tap the RESTART selection.

After rebooting, you will be operating under a protected boot of the operating system. You should see "Safe mode" displayed in the lower left corner. Your phone can function normally in this mode but any apps you have installed will not auto-start so if the problem goes away during this test, you can be virtually 100% confident the problem is due to an app that was installed or updated recently.

Then power off and restart the phone normally by pressing and holding the power button and then choosing Restart followed by confirming that choice. Now begin the process of elimination by uninstalling apps one by one until you isolate the culprit. I would start with any apps that you've installed recently, especially if they were installed just prior to the problem surfacing. You should also look at any apps that were just recently updated and again especially prior to the problem.

If this doesn't prove that an app is the cause then there could be a firmware issue, which could be resolved by clearing the cache. Otherwise it could be either an operating system problem or a physical hardware problem. Even though the volume button seems to be operating normally while you experience the issue, it may still be at the root of the problem. Buttons do go bad, get stuck and can result in what you're experiencing.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Welcome to the forum! You've got some great support from these guys here. They just helped me out of a very frustrating situation with an updated app messing with my phone. Take their advice and I'm betting you'll be back to normal in no-time!

thigh2thicc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
CPH1723.
hi im having the same problem as well but im quite sure its not apps because i hadnt installed anything before it happened and im fairly certain its because it got a bit wet this week.

i was washing my puppy on a videocall when i realized the place i was resting the phone had water on it, and i was placing the charging plug and speakers down no less. so im fairly certain it got wet. so i immediately turn off the phone after realizing where it was. i didnt put the phone on rice since only its butt was wet. so it remained turned off while i let the butt side dry by facing the butt side towards a fan. i did that at night and the next morning i turned the phone on again and works fine.
after a while tho the volume thing happened and is still happening as im typing this. at times, the side buttons (power button, volume up and down) wouldnt work and i d have to wait till it automatically shuts its screen down to close it. the volume would shoot up but i noticed it happens more likely when its hooked to a charger, when i can feel a bir more heat.

what do i do? hope someone gets to read this and helps me

how do i fix it? do i just let the phone

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
hi im having the same problem as well but im quite sure its not apps because i hadnt installed anything before it happened and im fairly certain its because it got a bit wet this week.

i was washing my puppy on a videocall when i realized the place i was resting the phone had water on it, and i was placing the charging plug and speakers down no less. so im fairly certain it got wet. so i immediately turn off the phone after realizing where it was. i didnt put the phone on rice since only its butt was wet. so it remained turned off while i let the butt side dry by facing the butt side towards a fan. i did that at night and the next morning i turned the phone on again and works fine.
after a while tho the volume thing happened and is still happening as im typing this. at times, the side buttons (power button, volume up and down) wouldnt work and i d have to wait till it automatically shuts its screen down to close it. the volume would shoot up but i noticed it happens more likely when its hooked to a charger, when i can feel a bir more heat.

what do i do? hope someone gets to read this and helps me

how do i fix it? do i just let the phone

Unfortunately anytime you are dealing with phone and water issues will creep up...other than trying to get the moisture out by either sitting unused or the old school place in rice method I've seen ..if persistent then having it looked at by authorized repair shop..

thigh2thicc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
CPH1723.
Unfortunately anytime you are dealing with phone and water issues will creep up...other than trying to get the moisture out by either sitting unused or the old school place in rice method I've seen ..if persistent then having it looked at by authorized repair shop..

damn so i gotta take it to the shop?
will not using it help?

sysadm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Redmi Note 5
Hi Jonny. Sorry about posting in such an old thread, to be honest I was in a hurry/panic this morning and didn't bother to check the date on the previous post.omegle-online.com

You should see "Safe mode" displayed in the lower left corner. Your phone can function normally in this mode but any apps you have installed will not auto-start so if the problem goes away during this test

Last edited: