The Verizon Galaxy S III Bootloader Has Been Unlocked!!!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1zqwmlc.png

Some had discounted that this could ever be done, but thanks to a generous leaker we now have access to an unsecured bootloader! Before you read any further you should know that if you plan to use this you will not want to receive any official OTA updates without first flashing your device back to stock via the Odin packages. If you accept the OTA after unlocking the bootloader it could brick your device. This will not work once Verizon releases an OTA update, so you should get in on this while you can.

For now the tool will only work on Mac and Linux or Ubuntu on Windows.

The process is pretty simple.

You will open the tool
Select Root with DebugFSroot
Select Flash Unsecure Aboot
Use Odin or CWM Recovery to flash the Kernels

Apparently there is already another exploit method tucked away that will be released as soon as Verizon patches this method!

Via XDA

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
this makes me want one that much more >_> I really don't know if I can wait until october or the next possible nexus device damn, decisions decisions

Valvoline

Reaction score
will i have to first unroot my device before i can use this method? i have rooted my gs3 with the Odin method a few weeks back.

nola

Reaction score
Geez just go download an Ubuntu live image and burn it to a cd or a bootable flash drive.

You must be so tired from all the effort YOU put forth unlocking this boot loader. Oh wait. Yea...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

nola

Reaction score
For real though, Ubuntu is free so just wu-sah and download that ish so you can unlock...

npro1464

Reaction score
Congrats S3 owners! Shouldn't have gave up so quickly on mine, but I wasn't going to put up with that crap. Who did it? AdamOuter on XDA.? Has the person / team claimed their bounty?

nola

Reaction score
No idea. That screenshot says read comments at xda for help. Honestly I don't even have an sgs3, I've just been following this. I have a CM10 Bionic. But Ubuntu is free, and you don't have to fully install it over windows either, just run a live cd and check the comments over there.

npro1464

Reaction score
I wonder if you can do this at the Apple store. It's a thought!! Those of you who are stuck with ancient Windows XP computers, let us know how this works out!!

ps- Reading the article at XDA, it does indeed look like it was AdamOutler. No clue how much help he received from other members. I don't even own an S3, but I might just donate to him as a big F-U to Verizon.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III Unlocked – xda-developers

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup, it was Adam. His dedication to cracking this thing was unbelievable. I've never seen so many likes (or thanks at xda) on one single post. :)

Whoever (African-Canadian Sock Monkey? WTF is that?) leaked the bootloader deserves a big thanks as well. Someone at Sammy maybe?

Last edited: