The TRUTH about Bloatware and it's importance....no more misconceptions

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to share this with you all as I am confused here. I was always under the impression that the Bloatware that is pre-installed on our devices was required to receive OTA updates and all....but something happened the other day that shook all of that up.

My wife's D1 was lost\stolen. I had to use my Assuriance Insurance to get her a replacement....this is all BEFORE I found out about Plan B....anyway...when her new D1 arrived it had NONE of the bloatware that it used to have. I called and asked if this was going to affect anything and they said that it would not.

So now I have to ask....is it important or no? I am thinking no due to this experience. I am wondering if there is some kind of code or something that is used to bypass the reliance on the bloatware for OTA updates.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the lack of bloatware is a problem for updates. I'm not sure why, but that's my limited experience.

michael29626

Reaction score
Don't. See why u would need bloatware (unwanted apps) to get updates. All updates aren't good, sometimes they may fix one thing and compromise usablility. One should be able to choose what apps are or aren't installed. Which may improve or take away from performance.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
During the last ota people who removed bloatware was having problems with getting it. I could not get it because I deleted blockbuster.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
The OP's wife has a D1? They never required bloat for proper OTAs like D2/X. It also had a lot less. I think this might be in the wrong section.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I just wanted to share this with you all as I am confused here. I was always under the impression that the Bloatware that is pre-installed on our devices was required to receive OTA updates and all....but something happened the other day that shook all of that up.

My wife's D1 was lost\stolen. I had to use my Assuriance Insurance to get her a replacement....this is all BEFORE I found out about Plan B....anyway...when her new D1 arrived it had NONE of the bloatware that it used to have. I called and asked if this was going to affect anything and they said that it would not.

So now I have to ask....is it important or no? I am thinking no due to this experience. I am wondering if there is some kind of code or something that is used to bypass the reliance on the bloatware for OTA updates.

The droid 1 didn't really have bloatware. Remove some bloat from the later moto phones can brick the phone if you do a factory reset or update the os.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't think about the D1 discussion before posting in this forum. But is it safe to say that as new models come out the amount of bloatware will be increased?

Batfan.com

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure what your talking about. I had a D1 and even though I have a D2G now, I still keep my D1 updated.

The D1 is known for being pretty much the most stock Google experience, on Vzw. It did not have MotoBlur loaded and had no bloatware on it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App