The OnePlus 5T Won't Feature Wireless Charging. Here's Why.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
screen-shot-2017-11-06-at-22213-pm-png.78040

Now that Apple has finally integrated wireless charging into their flagship devices other OEMs that have also neglected the tech will be expected to finally step up and add it to their devices. OnePlus has built a brand on offering more affordable phones with flagship devices. One way that they have been able to keep prices low is by not including all the features you would expect from other flagships. One of the features that they have systematically excluded has been wireless charging. As you may have guessed the upcoming and much anticipated OnePlus 5T has been confirmed to also not include wireless charging.

OnePlus CEO Pete Lau explained why the feature won't be included via a OnePlus Furms Post. It looks like Dash Charge may be the main reason we won't see wireless charging on the OP5T. Here is what he had to say.

Reason 1: Wired quick charging solutions like ours clearly outshine wireless on quantitative measures. Just plug your device in, and Dash Charge produces 20 watts of power, reliably giving a day’s power in half an hour.

Reason 2: Dash Charge gives you enough power for the day with just one charging session. All you need is the Dash Charge cable and adaptor to consistently power your device at superior rate. It doesn’t matter whether you’re gaming or streaming video. Dash Charge stays cool and power efficient.

It looks like OnePlus just wants you to have the best possible experience, and for them charging your device quickly is the best experience. Most people who regularly use wireless charging aren't concerned about the slowness of wireless charging since they know they can just use fast charging via wired charge when they need it. What are your thoughts? Is this a valid excuse for not including the feature?

via OnePlus Forums

Attachments

• screen shot 2017-11-06 at 22213 pm.png
    screen shot 2017-11-06 at 22213 pm.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 2,383

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider a phone without wireless charging. Pluging in and out multiple times a day will put wear and tear on your port that will eventually fail.

Sure wireless charging isn't as fast as Pluging in but if your phone battery is BIG enough you only need to charge it once overnight when speed doesn't matter.
Oh that's right, one+ doesn't supply BIG enough batteries to last whole day without charging mid day

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Seriously. I dont think it would increase the cost of the device that much. Just seems like a Missed opportunity to capitalize on a High Specd phone with Value and Features

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have it on my LG G6. Had it on my LG G3 and I hardly use it.
My wife has it on her Moto Z and uses it all the time.
I guess it really depends on the person.
It has not been a deal breaker on any phone I have owned.
It's not even a factor when I buy a phone.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have it on my LG G6. Had it on my LG G3 and I hardly use it.
My wife has it on her Moto Z and uses it all the time.
I guess it really depends on the person.
It has not been a deal breaker on any phone I have owned.
It's not even a factor when I buy a phone.

Which Moto Z do you have? That wasnt an Option for the Moto Z unless you use a Wireless Charging Mod. Dont have it on my Moto Z Force without using the Incipio Offgrid.

I had Wireless Charging going back to the Original Droid Turbo in 2014. Worked Nicely. Nokia Lumia 920 was the first Phone to Use Qi back in 2012. It is a Nice to Have option but should really be part of all phones by Now. Come on, Even the iPhone has it now so that saying Something. Now Apple wants to Standardize it and Call it AirPower.

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I have been using it since the note 3. I was always laying my phone down and forgetting to plug it in. was all the time running on empty. purchased the wireless adapter for the note 3, purchased the wireless charging pad and placed it where I was always laying the phone. and the phone was always charged :) It would be hard to live without it and it is something I do look for when getting new phones since.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Which Moto Z do you have? That wasnt an Option for the Moto Z unless you use a Wireless Charging Mod. Dont have it on my Moto Z Force with using the Incipio Offgrid.
you bought the wrong moto mod from incipio. model mt-382 comes with wireless charging, mt-381 without. return it if you can and get the right one.

Briankbl

Reaction score
I hate wireless charging. I like being able to still use my phone while it's charging. Hard to do if the phone is laying on a pad. I'd much rather have the super fast dash charging. Charge for 15-30 minutes and you're good for the rest of the day! I'm not too lazy to plug my phone in before bed lol.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
you bought the wrong moto mod from incipio. model mt-382 comes with wireless charging, mt-381 without. return it if you can and get the right one.
I meant without the Offgrid Moto Mod. It's has Wireless. I was referring that the device didn't have it natively.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I hate wireless charging. I like being able to still use my phone while it's charging. Hard to do if the phone is laying on a pad. I'd much rather have the super fast dash charging. Charge for 15-30 minutes and you're good for the rest of the day! I'm not too lazy to plug my phone in before bed lol.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

here are good and bad points for both options. I know if I need to, I can plug a wire in if I know I will run out of power while using it. but the biggie is, I iz getting old and tend to forget things so it is just easier to lay the phone on the charger when I take it out of the pocket than turning the cable around three times before getting it plugged in :) Now it is my watch I am always forgetting to charge :) good thing it charges in an hour or less.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Fact of the matter is tech is evolving and soon it should be a standard feature especially on devices with decent hardware to begin with. Do I expect it on a $100 BLU phone nope. But when you start paying $400+ well then its the vendor cutting costs instead of the user experience and then i would consider what else would they have cut on. In the case of th Moto Z i understand how mods would block it so that is understandable. At least then it can be added.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I have the wireless charger for the Note 8 and I've used it maybe 4 times because it always seems to disconnect and I've had to end up charging it normally in the morning anyways. It'd be nice to have it included but at this point I don't trust it or use it enough to make it a deal breaker for me.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I have the wireless charger for the Note 8 and I've used it maybe 4 times because it always seems to disconnect and I've had to end up charging it normally in the morning anyways. It'd be nice to have it included but at this point I don't trust it or use it enough to make it a deal breaker for me.

just wondering, do you have a samsung wireless charger or one from a third party?