The Nexus One / Google Phone & Verizon - What We Know

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have little interest in the N1 for the same reason I didn't even consider the Eris: no physical keyboard. The hardware differences are minimal, and right now the software available for the moto doesn't even scratch the surface of what the phone is capable of..

tktouch12

Reaction score
The software experience is going to end up identical.
QUOTE]

The hardware differences are minimal, and right now the software available for the moto doesn't even scratch the surface of what the phone is capable of..

i though the nexus has twice as much ram and 2 times faster processor? i hope you guys are right, but that points strongly to the fact that the nexus will be MUCH better than the droid (unfortunately)
am i somehow wrong about this?

Guurzak

Reaction score
Yes, the N1 does have more RAM and a different processor. I don't see this making a huge difference for most users, though: if you have enough RAM already, then even more RAM doesn't do anything for you. Likewise, a faster processor is not better unless you're pegging the one you have. I can imagine a hypothetical app which would run well on an N1 but poorly or not at all on a Droid, but realistically who would write such a thing? Coders want to reach the biggest possible market which means they almost always write for lowest common denominator hardware.

db83

Reaction score
just to clarify, the ones being ordered and shipped right now is strictly for T-mobile's network right? AT&T and verizon will each have their own versions in the future?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. That's why world of warcraft can be played on some ancient machines, because they want tons of people playing it. But I changed my mind. I just got Swype a few minutes ago and realized I might never use the physical keyboard again. ;) Kidding of course, but it does make things oddly different now...

Droidette

Reaction score
I like the heft of my Droid and the physical keyboard, so it's a keeper. It will be interesting to see what the OS upgrade will look like on Droid, after using it for two months, I'm still impressed with it as is! But, hopefully the upgrade will stop the occasional freezes and battery pulls to restart....

DroidxRage

Reaction score
^^ You shouldn't really have to do battery pulls on the Droid

I agree, I like the keyboard and hefty design, I'll keep my Droid. Besides, I have most of the 2.1 features already without rooting, so I'm not losing much on hardware.

Is it correct the N1 has no dedicated GPU? I still haven't heard confirmation either way on that.

In any event, it's only a matter of time before the Dual Core snapdragon chips are coming out... that's what I'll be waiting for:

1.5GHz Dual Core Snapdragon
At least 16GB INTERNAL memory
Physical keyboard
4.0inch 480x854 res screen (not missing 54 pixels like the N1)
Front facing camera for Skype-type transmissions (wishing, but hey...)

meekless

Reaction score
just to add my two cents. i love how the nexus looks and the processor speed, but i love my droid and would not give it up. the droid should have 2.1 within a few weeks at most. and if you visit adobe on your droid, you see it indicates flash 10.1 will be available in the first half of 2010.
so rest assured, the droid will have the same software and firmware available to the nexus. i agree that the difference between the 2 phones will be more hardware design than functionality.
i also didnt care for the physical keyboard on the droid at first but have gotten just as fast as when i had my voyager, and hardly ever use the virtual keyboard now, though i do love some swype.

J. Dub

Reaction score
just to add my two cents. i love how the nexus looks and the processor speed, but i love my droid and would not give it up. the droid should have 2.1 within a few weeks at most. and if you visit adobe on your droid, you see it indicates flash 10.1 will be available in the first half of 2010.
so rest assured, the droid will have the same software and firmware available to the nexus. i agree that the difference between the 2 phones will be more hardware design than functionality.
i also didnt care for the physical keyboard on the droid at first but have gotten just as fast as when i had my voyager, and hardly ever use the virtual keyboard now, though i do love some swype.

What is swype? I typed that into the market and can't find it. Sorry to get off topic. If you prefer PM-ing me feel free so that the thread stays on topic. :)

DurangoJim

Reaction score
I know we know the resolution of the N1 screen but is the physical size a little wider than the Droid? I can't tell via pics.

db83

Reaction score
I thought the N1 was supposed to be invite only at first. seems anyone can order it right now. ??