The network or the phone

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This is a question I've been asking myself as of late.

I've had a Bionic since it was released back in September. Overall I really enjoy it and LTE. I did have issues with it, but 893 resolved a good chunk of them. All except the data drops.

The data drops have plagued me since the beginning, and they continue to today. I was hoping the 893 update would alleviate it, but it didn't. So then I hoped another update would. When 901 didn't do it I just assumed it was the network. That maybe once vzw grew it a bit more and fixed a few things it would be fine.

So, I just believed it was the network. Yet, overtime I keep on seeing posts like:
  1. I live in a fringe LTE area and 893/901 fixed my data drops
  2. I never had a data drop on my bionc
  3. I got rid of my bionic for (insert other LTE phone) and haven't had a single data drop
Stuff like that makes me wonder if it's actually the phone. Personally, I live in a fringe area:

View attachment 46630

That's where I live, which is where I notice most of the drops. I don't really look at my phone much when traveling about, but I have seen it data drop outside the home. I know it's fringe, but if others who live in fringe areas are not getting the data drops (or are successfully transitioning from LTE to EVDO) then I'd hope I'd have it as well.

I guess what I'm conflicted by is:

Do I keep my Bionic and hope that it's just the network. Or Get rid of the Bionic for another LTE device, and hope that it was the device.

I've put some money into the Bionic. HDMI cable (pretty cheap, but what other high end LTE phone has a microHDMI port?) and some of the docks. All which would be useless with another LTE phone.

I've done the following:
  1. Put battery in performance mode
  2. Installed the 893 update when it was released
  3. Installed the accidental 901 update
  4. Pulled the battery and the SIM countless amounts of time
  5. Factory Restarted around 5 times and not including the google restore data stuff
  6. Get a replacement
  7. Restart Connections is kind of a crap shot.
Think that's about it.

I'm just hoping to get some kind of guidance on the matter. I have no problems waiting for the LTE network to mature, or even going from LTE to EVDO. The data drops are just irritating, and if I can get rid of them then I'm all for it. I guess I just want to know which it is so I can do something about it. The last thing I want is to have a phone that is just going to constantly drop data till 2013.

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
I have the 901 update and it's been pretty good overall but still see some issues with fringe area switching.

Have you tried just leaving the phone in 3g/evdo mode unless you know you're are in a strong lte area?

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I have the same issue. My bars and what not will go from being blue which I'd normal to white all the time. Rebooting won't help it either. When I load fb or df app all the pics are blank bc it can't load them. I don't know what to do either...

Also when I turn my wifi on my 4g quits working. It never user to do that. It would always stay on along with wifi...

Last edited:

mamawm

Reaction score
i live in a fringe area for any kind of coverage. were it not for wifi at home i would really be hurting. 4g is available in a location 30 miles from me. i find that if i leave my phone in cdma only, i rarely experience any data drops. however, if i am in town and want to glide along at 4g speeds, i then experience the drops. sometimes airplane mode works, sometimes it takes a reboot. i know there is a problem on verizon's part with the authentication process, seems like it only does this when switching from 4g to cdma. so i've come to the conclusion that it is a combination of network and software not communicating. my husband does experience this on his charge but not to the extent that i do. i have faith that it will all be resolved and it's not something that i worry about, i just cruse along on 3g for now.

OP
tjk629

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Do you think I should bring it to verizons attention? It almost sounds like it's location based rather then all over.

mamawm

Reaction score
I think they know and are working on it. The signal at my house seems to have gotten stronger lately. Sometimes when I've been out and about and come home I forget to turn wifi back on, and 3g actually comes and goes inside the house. Several months ago that would have been impossible. So I think they are working to improve signal everywhere.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe there isn't just one reason for data drop. Looking at the threads I see:

1) Verizon having "teething problems" with 4G. Part of this is upgrading equipment (which can cause a local data blackout) and part of Verizon's inability to accept a ping from the phone asking to connect.

2) Some phones seem to be pinging the network more often than others if they are unable to connect. This ability can vary from phone to phone, even with the same model. You could get another phone, or even a different kind, and just happen to get a good one, while others having that same phone are experiencing data drops.

We live in a valley and inside the house it changes from 4G to 3G to 1X to nothing randomly, but go outside 20' and it's 4G. And when I go to my parent's house I can easily stream a Netflix movie to their TV.

In short, you could exchange your Bionic for another one, or get a Razr or another kind of phone and it'll work out fine. Or maybe not. You'll just have to take a chance.

I've wondered what would happen if Bionic owners would stand shoulder to shoulder and see if data problems occur or vanish.

Also when I turn my wifi on my 4g quits working. It never user to do that. It would always stay on along with wifi...

When I'm connected to WiFi 4G changes from blue to white, but that's about it.

Last edited: